SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL6 Star Party - Booking now open

Helen

I think you have some typos in there Chris ....

Ian, you have paid £75 by PayPal for 6 nights without electricity. No meals have been chosen or paid for.

Mike

Ooops!

Thanks for putting it right Mike. No typos that's me full of cold and not reading properly.

Best regards

Chris

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this suitable for young children to come along too or just the senior more worldly gazers?

Just checked the dates and we are unable to attend anyway. :) Sorry.

Lets hope I can get time off of work, my attendance pattern doesn't change over the weekend, I can get both kids off from school for the Friday when I get back to work on the 27th and the kids back to school on the 28th 'cos we've booked. :glasses1:

Now, how do you keep night lights down in a tent for two kids that love torch's?

Lets hope I can get time off of work, my attendance pattern doesn't change over the weekend, I can get both kids off from school for the Friday when I get back to work on the 27th and the kids back to school on the 28th 'cos we've booked. :glasses1:

Now, how do you keep night lights down in a tent for two kids that love torch's?

conveniently forget the batteries :)

I think it's best to keep lights to the absolute minimum if possible. At night faint red torches are OK while moving around the site. The skies there can be really quite dark so it's would be a pity not to make the most of them :glasses1:

Once your eyes are "dark adapted" its surprising what you can make out without the need of a light.

Too many years fishing on the beach in the dark or sailing at night under the stars, sorry, clouds to bother me.

Just thinking about the children who will need a light of some sorts to sleep with and get about in the dark. Will try some red plastic film at home before the event ..........................

I agree John. It's a 10m red LED rope light, and it is a bit brighter than I wanted really.

In the shed it stays :glasses1:

Hmmm, am going to buy 50M of this to put round the awning of the RV and inside so we can see our way around.

Regards

Chris

Hmmm, am going to buy 50M of this to put round the awning of the RV and inside so we can see our way around.

Regards

Chris

Chris,

I don't want to be a killjoy in any way but you might want to re-think this (you may have been kidding in which case :))

Advice such as for folks to disable their interior lights in cars or put black tape over them illustrates the lengths we need to go to to keep things dark.

The thing is that the scopes are right beside the pitches - the chap next door to me last year was imaging so the last thing I wanted to do was illuminate his pitch, even for a few seconds.

Again, if you were joking then sorry to have mentioned it :glasses1:

Hi John,

You may recall from help you gave me over eyepieces that I am a newbie.

I have mentioned buying these red rope lights before and was told yes they will be OK. Hence mentioning it here now when it was suggested they would not be any good.

So have I got it wrong? Isn't the idea that red light is not a problem for our eyes when viewing?

Looking for some serious advice here please. I am in the process of buying various red lights and torches for both my RV and family to use during star parties and the likes.

Best regards

Chris

Basically only very dim red lights should be used and even then only when really needed to move about safely or adjust equipment etc. I use a single, dim, light in my van. Then only when it's needed and only with all curtains and blinds drawn. No light showing externally at all.

Sorry if that sounds draconian Chris but it's a sort of cardinal rule with star parties. I've only been to a couple myself so I respect the experience of others in this.

If other, more experienced star party hands think I'm being OTT on this then please let me know and I'll gladly revise my advice :glasses1:

The main thing is to make them unobtrusive and ensure no more than a faint red glow at most is seen from the tent/awning.

I know these rope lights come in different lengths, thicknesses, and intensities - I wouldn't use the "disco" ones lol. Just a short length of low intensity which ideally can't be seen from outside :glasses1:

May I add what looks dim at home could well be too bright for a star party as we will hopefully be able to get fully dark adapted under the stars

The popular reckoning is it takes 30 mins

Which reminds me does anybody have a source for red sheet for laptop screens

Looking forward to a good un

Steve

I know this a little off topic but maybe a heads up list/thread should be started to give new attendies some idea of what they will need in regards to light use, party etiquete etc etc....

The booking facility provides quite a lot information on this:

Stargazers Lounge Shop

You can also ask specific questions on the SGL6 chat thread that's been started and here:

Starparty / Camping equipment and associated needs. - Stargazers Lounge

Hope that helps :glasses1:

Cheers Ian,

I was looking for some of this for SGL6

NO WAY GUY'S come on, do your research before paying over the top for this stuff... A good art shop with have red gel film on a roll for about 8/10 Euros. It great and I still have about 1.5m left on the roll.

The piece I cut from my computer screen it still fine after 1 year...

Plus you can cut it for torches etc...

Archived