Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where to start :)

Ouzodan

Hi all, been browsing the this excellent forum for a couple of weeks now, but decided to make myself known.

I am complete beginner to Astronomy.

As a child it was always something that I wanted to get into though my parents could not afford a telescope and my early enthusiasm waned.

A couple of years back I was out Night Fishing in Sussex when for no real reason I decided to look up, Oh my... :) the sky was absolutely littered with stars, For someone who lives very near london and only used to poor seeing conditions, It was all so big and dazzling I nearly fell over, suffice to say my interest in the whole subject was reignited.

Then along came Prof Brian Cox and his enthusiasm for astronomy, this would finally sell it to me, so now ive armed myself with the Turn Left at Orion book and some Celestron 20x50 bins & I am just waiting for a clear night here something I havent seen for two weeks & I'll head out and see what I can find.

I will hopefully be getting a Telescope in March for my birthday but for now im sure I'll speak to many of you on here.

Dark skies for all :)

Dan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to one of the friendliest forums I've ever been on. I'm pretty much the same position as yourself and have been interested since my childhood but Stargazing Live reminded me the the brother in law had left his telescope at home so I pinched a shot :)

Once you start to read you'll you'll find out there's far more to this game than you could possibly imagine!

have fun!

Welcome to SGL

You have made an excellent start going down the bino route.

All newbies would be better off getting to know an appreciate the hobby before going scope crazy.

If you in the London area do plan a visit to the Astrofest in Feb , you can get up close and personal with a variety of equipment.

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.

We're all beginners really as everything keeps changing as such a pace be it equipment, knowledge and discoveries in space. Do you know what scope you're getting for your birthday- if those buying need any help they could always post a question or two on here first!

Clear skies

James

wow thanks for the warm welcome tis one of the reasons I registered on here is because you all seem a nice bunch.

Welcome to SGL

You have made an excellent start going down the bino route.

All newbies would be better off getting to know an appreciate the hobby before going scope crazy.

If you in the London area do plan a visit to the Astrofest in Feb , you can get up close and personal with a variety of equipment.

Not gonna be able to make it to astrofest, I was working today which is a shame & I havent been in long.

To be honest I was tempted to dive straight in and buy a Telescope but have managed to resist the urge so far its easy to look on a place like ebay and be suckered into scopes that wont last 5 minutes.

Hi Dan and welcome to SGL

Whilst waiting for clear skies (know the feeling) Have you downloaded Stellarium to see what you're missing - excellent free piece of software.

Enjoy

Hi yeah I spotted that program on here the other day, downloaded it and ive got to say im impressed, so long as you know your N,E,S,W and have a basic understanding of the stars point your scope in the general direction and your gonna be in luck surely?

I quite like the idea of chasing the odd Satellite across the sky and Stellarium will be invaluable for that.

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.

We're all beginners really as everything keeps changing as such a pace be it equipment, knowledge and discoveries in space. Do you know what scope you're getting for your birthday- if those buying need any help they could always post a question or two on here first!

Clear skies

James

I have a fair idea of what im after, the Skywatcher Explorer 200 in one of its longer/shorter varients has caught my eye.

Its funny because you look at something like a 113mm reflector & think wow look at the size of that beast, then you see the 130mm version which can absorb X% more light, then 150mm and so on & you can just keep going I suppose you have to call it a day at some point. Im happy to settle on something in the £300 to £400 mark.

Im not too fussed about Goto software but a motor of some kind to help with tracking makes sense, I see my scope as an investment in something which I plan to use for many years so need to find the right balance between price and portability.

Archived