Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skytee-2 Alt-Azimuth mount

FLO

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I'd be interested in "obvious" question re. the one Dovetail being at 90 deg to the axis - Or can it optionally be in-line? The former idea, is a clever one though. Many practical setups have quite a lot of off-axis weights - Finders, guide scopes, Ethoi (for the lucky) etc. :(

In my use, the polished steel / delrin sleeve of the Giro III much prefers a side-to-side balance of better than 4lb. Although the load capacity is "semi-infinite"? Slow motions are often missed tho'. :)

I sdaw the TS version of this on their website a few days ago and was goinf to post something along the lines of "phwoar - I want one of those..." - and voila, it's arrived in the UK with a Skywatcher badge on it! I liked my Giro II but I like the slow-mos on my AZ3 more, so a combination of those two make this very attractive indeed. And imgaine it with a 90mm Triplet on one side and an ED120 doublet on the other... :)

I'd like to try my Meade AR6 on it - 12kg when fully loaded and a long tube :)

From the photo it looks like it could have a sort of modular aspect to it - ie: you can position the c/w bar, dove tails, etc where you need to to suit your equipment. No doubt Russ will fill us in in due course :(

Please bring one to SGL6 Steve - I'd love to have a play :confused:

I'd like to try my Meade AR6 on it - 12kg when fully loaded and a long tube :)

From the photo it looks like it could have a sort of modular aspect to it - ie: you can position the c/w bar, dove tails, etc where you need to to suit your equipment. No doubt Russ will fill us in in due course :(

It's the modular look of it that really appeals. I can mount the PST or large binoculars on the horizontal saddle. Or turn it round and mount the newt and refractor side by side. Or have the PST on one saddle for Ha and the refractor on the other for white light.

Really looking forward to putting this through its paces.

I bought the original SkyTee alt/az mount when it first arrived and I improved it by adding a extension pillar. However, the new one, with slow motion controls, will be much better.

Steve I assume that because the head fits an EQ5 and HEQ5 tripod mount then my pillar extension could be used?

I have pushed the weight limit of the original to the edge as can be seen from the photos.

I hope one of these mounts is at Astrofest but SGL6 will be nice otherwise :)

Mark

Looking good to test the mount this weekend if the weather holds. The scope we have lined up for the Saturday test weighs in at 13.6kg and is a smidge over 1000mm long. It should really test the mount in a single scope configuration.

Will report back asap.

What tripod will you be using ?. I've used 3 different ones with my az-mounts and they make quite a difference to vibration damping and overall stability. Even the AZ-4 on the 2" CG5 tripod will handle a surprisingly heavy load !.

I always regret selling a superb ashwood Tele Optik tripod a few years ago - it was a heavy thing but 6 foot tall and solid as a rock !.

I have the 1.75" steel tripod that the mount would be sold with as a £100 option. Also have the 2" CG5 tripod to try it with. Could even, for a laugh, give it a try on the EQ5 aluminium tripod.

Shame i sold the LX200 tripod, as that was a beast that dwarfed the CG5 2". I had gone to the trouble of adapting it for Skywatcher mounts.

As an avid heavy duty alt-az mount user, up to now the one brand that seems to get universal praise for it's operation and load carrying ability is the Universal Astronomics Unistar:

Big Binoculars - Universal Astronomics Unistar Mount

These don't have slow motion controls of course. If this new Skywatcher mount really can provide a solid platform for long 10-15kg OTA's and smooth slow motion control as well then the price would be well worth it. Just what the market needs IMHO :confused:

I can't wait for the review :(

Looking at funding options as I type ....... :)

These don't have slow motion controls of course. If this new Skywatcher mount really can provide a solid platform for long 10-15kg OTA's and smooth slow motion control as well then the price would be well worth it. Just what the market needs IMHO :confused:

I can't wait for the review :(

Looking at funding options as I type ....... :)

Thinking the same thing. As soon as i clapped eyes on this yesterday, i knew it could possibly be the mount i have been looking for. I really hope it proves to be as good as it looks.

Yep - you will see the "Dance of the planets" then :)

The tripod will probably collapse under the weight of mount and scope, especially the LXD 10". It's hard to imagine how Meade managed to sell that scope on the LXD55 mount and wobbly tripod.

Archived