NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Skytee-2 Alt-Azimuth mount

FLO

The new heavy-duty Skywatcher Skytee-2 Alt-Azimuth mount has arrived. It features two Skywatcher/Vixen type dovetail saddles, slow motion controls on both axes and a counterweight bar that accepts Sky-Watcher counterweights. Two telescopes weighing up to 15kg each can be mounted together, one each side.

Available with or without Sky-Watcher 1.75" stainless steel tripod. Those with EQ5 or HEQ5 series mounts will already own the tripod so can save £100!

EDIT: Tests have shown the saddles fitted to the Skywatcher Skytee-II are not particularly robust, this is surprising considering that the mount itself is very well constructed. With this in mind ADM offer a sturdy replacement Vixen-type saddle for the Skytee-II. When fitted with an ADM saddle the Skytee-II will happily carry an 8-inch Newtonian or similar.

skywatcher_skytee-2_alt-az_mount.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please forgive the idiot in the room, but what would be the use / advantage of a mount like this over an EQ mount?

It's liberating to use an AltAz after the awkwardness of an EQ. Especially with a newt. It's just so easy to setup and use. You push it and it goes where you want. No awkward viewing angles, no twisting the tube in the rings, no steps......fantastic.

As a great fan and user of alt-az mounts I will eagerly await news on this one :)

I currently use an Ambermille Aztech which is a Giro-type design - that will handle up to 10kg or so on each side fine but has no slow-mo controls and is a little unsophisticated in it's design in places.

The AZ-4 is great but not in the same load bearing league.

I've a Helix Hercules 10" fork on it's way which is reputed to be able to handle a 17kg load - it's like a TV Gibraltar on steroids apparently. We will see !.

Can't wait for the report Russ :(

As a great fan and user of alt-az mounts I will eagerly await news on this one :)

I currently use an Ambermille Aztech which is a Giro-type design - that will handle up to 10kg or so on each side fine but has no slow-mo controls and is a little unsophisticated in it's design in places.

The AZ-4 is great but not in the same load bearing league.

I've a Helix Hercules 10" fork on it's way which is reputed to be able to handle a 17kg load - it's like a TV Gibraltar on steroids apparently. We will see !.

Can't wait for the report Russ :(

I have the AZ4 and a Giro III. The Giro takes a decent payload and is very smooth to operate but would be better with slo-mos.

I have an OTA in mind to put those figures to the test. :)

If possible Russ can you give us a max weight for 1 scope with no counterweight attached as I think thats probably how most people use alt/az mounts.

My Giro takes 2 scopes but I've hardly ever put a second scope on it.

If possible Russ can you give us a max weight for 1 scope with no counterweight attached as I think thats probably how most people use alt/az mounts.

Will do Gaz. I hoping to lay my hands on a Meade LXD55 10" ota for Saturday night. That should put the weight capacity to the test.

Yep - while I've posted a few pics of my alt-az with 2 scopes on board, I rarely use it that way often. The Ambermille handles an 10kg OTA with no counterweight but the axis movements become smoother when it's better balanced.

I only bought my Intes MN61 to act as a counterweight you know :)

Archived