Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skytee-2 Alt-Azimuth mount

FLO

When Skywatcher launched their new products recently they included a number of new widefield reflectors made from carbon fibre. The 10" Newt CFP2501 is F4 although no weight is mentioned.

When I first saw the advert I thought about placing this new 10" OTA on my existing SkyTee with the 4" APO the other side. However, if this new mount can take in excess of 10kg each side with slow motion controls it will be fantastic.

Russ I think a large number of SGL members will be interested in your opinion especially capacity and quality of the slow motion controls.

Mark

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russ I think a large number of SGL members will be interested in your opinion especially capacity and quality of the slow motion controls.

Mark

hehe no pressure then :)

But don't worry, i intend to test it all thoroughly. And gather any views or criticism from my local group too.

If I like it saturday I may consider one as well

It'll be touch and go, our delivery isn't arriving til tomorrow (Friday) :)

We'll dispatch one to Russ for Saturday delivery but our experience suggests Saturday deliveries are not that reliable. Fingers crossed!

Russ has received the Skywatcher Skytee-2 mount and posted his preliminary findings in a new thread HERE. I don't want to steal his thunder but having spoken with him this morning we have revised the payload rating back up to 15kg, indeed this new mount seems to work best when fitted with medium to heavy telescopes.

It's certainly looking that way. Won't know for sure until we get a big scope loaded up but i'm pretty confident this mount will take a hefty load no problem. Hopefully i can come back with more info when i get the chance to test a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

Well folks i am taking the plunge tomorrow and ordering my skytee from FLO but i need to get my my DP95 tripod and half pillar modded at OO to take it. The scopes i will be using on it are the OO spx 200 f/6 and i am talking to OO to see if they can make me a 150mm f/11 and he says he can so happy days. To be honest i think this mount will do what it says on the tin and can`t wait to get my hands on it. I owned a william optics EZtouch and that was brilliant i used a 150mm refractor on that and it was a joy to use so i will be on the phone tomorrow ordering my skytee and i will post pictures of the setup when its completed happy days.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Hi FLO - I have one of these mounts - picked it up in a lunch time shopping spree at the local telescope store here in Vancouver. Wonder if you can advise what Skywatcher have in mind with the counterweight side of the mount. If you put a heavy scope on that side, it seems you will need almost as much counterweight to stop it falling down vertically when the scope is pointed up. I have tried my 6" Explore Scientific Refractor (22 lbs plus accessories) and even with my CGEM counterweight (17 lbs) its no go - the scope falls down the hill. If I put 22 lbs of counterweight on - I would be overloading the mount. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here. I did just see from Russ's thread (he had the mount on trial) that you can reposition the counterweight shaft - didn't know that - no manual came with mine. So perhaps there is a strategy I'm missing for the counterweight side?

If not I'm still happy being able to put a C9.25 (been out few times with that) on the other side for quick setup. Would be a shame though If I only use one side.

Thanks, James

Archived