Hello Everyone!

Mikeydej

Hi All!

I have been told this is the best place to take an interest in Astronomy and turn it into a hobby! I blame Carl Sagan for my interest in Astronomy going back years, from first seeing Cosmos and reading Carl Sagan books I have now expanded my reading to Brian Greene, Simon Singh and Prof B Cox. I am really interested in the concepts of space and time and how the universe is made and how old the universe is. However, I know very little about using a telescope (I have recently got hold of some Meade binoculars) and finding my way around the night sky, I have just worked out how to use a planesphere!

I now want to fully immerse myself in Astronomy and get the basics nailed. I have used the Binoculars a couple of times now, the two constellations I recognised before were Ursa Major and Orion, I can now pick out Cassiopeia!!

31 years old and expecting to discover a new star any day soon!

Best to all!

Mike.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

I was well impressed with the first part of your list but when you mentioned Cassiopeia - I thought, well now that's just showing off!!:):D:D:D:D

We all have to start somewhere except I'm still there - must have bought the wrong book but I will agree with you that this forum certainly is a very useful resource to get your head around stuff, especially all that kit that's out there.

Glad you could join in and hopefully many clear skies for those binos.

James

Welcome to SGL Mike!

You certainly have come to the right place :)

Juging by what you read you might well find Stephen Baxtor's novel 'Time' a very interesting read. It is sci-fi but with lots of factual info integrated, and is all about 'space and time' I loved it!

Good luck in your endevour! :)

Michael

Archived