Hi

gardgas

Hello all, another newbie. Skywatching live woke up the dormant stargazer in me, so went out and got myself a telescope. A celestron 5Se. Would like to take some pictures with it if I can, so will be probing for advice.

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel and welcome to the forum.

I gather that a wedge comes with this scope or can be purchased which will certainly help you avoid the problem of tracking objects with an alt-azimuth type mount. This mount tracks across the sky in a stepped fashion which is hardly noticeable to the eye, but which would produce odd shaped stars in your images. Now is this wedge accurate or effective enough in avoiding this problem, I don't know for sure and you would need to post that question over on one of the imaging sections. I can't see why you couldn't video the Moon or the planets, as being bright objects they don't require any tracking time for long exposures unlike that which is needed to secure the faint light associated with deep sky objects.

If I'm being honest, I don't see too many images posted on here using this scope and there may well be technical issues that restrict what you can do. I would again suggest that you post in the imaging section to see what they say about the imaging capabilities of this kit.

Clear skies

James

Hello again, and thanks for a very warm and friendly welcome. Have been looking at lot of the topics and have learned a lot already. Looking forward to being a member of the lounge. Mid you, since I have had the scope, I have spent a lot of time in my own lounge!!!.

Nigel

Archived