Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it just me!! The Big Bang

was watching a recording of the Universe lastnight and it was the one explaining the BIG BANG......Im sorry it just doesnt work for me...I have had this argument before in the intellectual surroundings of the pub :) but I just cant accept what they (or the narrator on "universe") are saying, that everything out there started from........NOTHING. Just saying the sentence sounds soooo ridiculous !

12 billion years ago there was absolutely NOTHING, no matter, no space, no time.......a seething mass of energy smaller than a atom grew from NOTHING...

Now I don't profess to understand or comprehend it in any way.....but NOTHING! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Discuss :shock:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I have no interest in how it happened, I'm not scientifically minded. All I know is, aslong as I get to obverse a fraction of whats up there through my modest telescope (when its clear that is), thats all that matters to me!

Caz :)

Don't get me wrong Chubs, I look in wonder and awe, but as for its creation, its too much for my tiny mind to compute, I couldn't find the answers even if I wanted to, so theres no point in racking my brains thinking about it....

Caz

I have my own theory on this subject (just as un provable as any other though)

Before the (for want of a better phrase) The big bang there were advanced civilisations

through out the universe.

These civilisations had people/beings that experimented with numerous things "matter/antimatter"

or something just as volatile that maybe we haven't discovered yet.

Well to cut a long story short they messed up and this is where the "Big Bang" came from.

Its probably happened a few times before and will probably happen again in the distant future.

This is my theory and all i can say is "Prove me wrong".

I have a hunch that the universe was created by a consortium comprising Meade, Celestron, Tele Vue, etc, with the express purpose of providing a steady stream of curious folk who want to look at it more closely and therefore buy their equipment. The reason that it is expanding is so the objects we want to look at are getting further away and therefore we have to buy more powerful, and more expensive equipment to see anything worthwhile.

My theory is supported by the fact that many dedicated shrines to this belief (eg: Aunty FLO, Telescope House, David Hinds etc, etc) have been set up with the sole purpose of enabling us to equip ourvelves better and better to view the wonder of it all.

If you too believe in this theory please send money, in any amount - large or even larger, to me so that I can equip myself better to view the universe - I promise to tell you all about what I see on this web site !!!.

:-D :-D :-D

John The Eternal Optimist,

Luggage Locker No. 42,

Bristol Temple Meads Station

One good theory I heard came from an old 'The Young Ones' annual from the 80's. As Vyvian explains it, it's to do with the Newtonian law of equal and opposite reactions. Way back at the beginning of this universe there was absolute nothingness, and of course the opposite happened to balance this out i.e. a blumming great explosion of everything. Seems fair enough.

I'm also with Calvin & Hobbes in thinking that calling it the 'Big Bang' is something of an understatement when describing all the matter and energy in the universe exploding from a point infinitely smaller than a pinhead. I think 'Giant Space Kablooie' has more majesty about it.

Archived