Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it just me!! The Big Bang

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if anyone might have the bravery to ask Stephen Hawkings to join this discussion.

I might be wrong, but he may be able to point us all in the right directions.

We can set off on our individual journeys, meet up at infinity, then hope someone remembers the way home.

By the way, I am a coward, I am not going to be the one to ask him. :)

Well Barkis, I've already pointed everyone to the right direction. Read the books I noted, and then we'll all be on the same page. CC's synopsis is excellent, too.

• 4 years later...
was watching a recording of the Universe lastnight and it was the one explaining the BIG BANG......Im sorry it just doesnt work for me...I have had this argument before in the intellectual surroundings of the pub :D but I just cant accept what they (or the narrator on "universe") are saying, that everything out there started from........NOTHING. Just saying the sentence sounds soooo ridiculous !

12 billion years ago there was absolutely NOTHING, no matter, no space, no time.......a seething mass of energy smaller than a atom grew from NOTHING...

Now I don't profess to understand or comprehend it in any way.....but NOTHING! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Discuss :shock:

Well if you magnify spectime as you enter the Planckian era you will depart from a smooth spacetime (classical GR) to a spacetime described as QuantumFoam.

Energies are so high here that virtual particles and antiparticles appear, annihilate and dissapear.

So you may ask if Quantum Foam seethes with these virtual particle-antiparticle pairs.

What determines the imbalance and the balance and what favours matter over antimatter within Quantum Foam.

Once this Physics is fully understood then you may be able to argue the evidence that there is No Free Lunch

• 1 month later...

I have read all five pages with interest and amusement. Is it only me that can see the similarities between religion and science.

God said let there be light and the scientists said let there be a big bang.

Not to say that this is a religious comment in any way!

• 3 weeks later...

I think the idea of 'Everything from Nothing' is becoming less and less popular as time goes on, what with the concept of 'branes colliding in M-theory etc. However, this just raises the earlier question (albeit now more complex) of " Where did everything come from in the very first place? Was there a beginning?". In my opinion, there has to have been a period of nothingness - otherwise something has existed for an infinite time. I don't like infinity, it's a blumming nuisance!

I think people assume the BB to be an explosion instead of an event which makes more sense, we only think of there being nothing because the universe didn't exist, so time didn't exist, so there was nothing 'here', we're desperately trying to work out what happened betwen now and the event but what gets me is that I really feel the universe came from something but that something was somewhere else and we're probably never going to find out if that's true or not.

Am I being daft in thinking that as you can't create or destroy energy only transfer it then the energy that went into the event came from something.

There's no reason why The Universe could not have come from absolutely nothing. Why not? That is just the human mind trying to put a limit on everything. It's totally outside our everyday experience which is why it's so difficult to comprehend.

Totally disagree with the 'Similarities between religion and science' comment.

Religion says there is a god and them people do not accept any challenges against that, where as Science at the moment has the big bang theory but that might just be an approximation of what actually happened. They are making new discoveries all that time which one day will probably blow the standard model apart. Science is ever evolving and is open to new views and theories. Religion certainly isn't.

It seems to be a mainstream view that the BB is an event embedded in something larger, to which we have, as yet, no access. A further set of dimensions? Part of the problem is that our grasp of time is very limited. Time may not be at all as we think it is, a one way flow from past via present to future.

Ah, so strange...

Olly

It wouldn't of made a noise because something has to be alive with hearing to pick up the sound waves.

In my view if there was no life, the universe would not exist because there's no witnesses.

Well, quantum theory has a lot to say about the role of the observer in determining what happens. If there's no observer... Hmmmm....

Olly

Everything from nothing still works fine if everything equals nothing.

As current science breaks down at this point, everything tends to get a little philosophical which is based upon interpretation, point of view, values etc.

The recent Horizon program which i have recorded is quiet an interesting watch, for which I feel Dr Kaku has a interesting point, in what really is nothing, does in reality nothing exist or not exist as the case may be, has there in reality always been something.

Void is a concept which western cultures don't really go into but Eastern cultures do, this could have a effect upon theory's and what is proposed.

Maybe :)

Archived