NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Suppose I will get moaned at!

sooren

Hi all,

My names Paul and I live in Beccles Suffolk UK.

Just signing in to say hello.

Never had a telescope before but always been interested in astronomy.

Heres the bad bit. Today I ordered a Meade 8 inch ETX lightswitch, now I know people will say that this is not the normal route to take for a first scope but all I want to do is spend my time looking at the stars and not setting the scope up.

I am also aware that there have been problems with these scopes but I am hoping that all the initial problems have been ironed out.

I would be interested if any one has bought one of these scopes lately and if they have been trouble free being one of the latest batches.

I hope to share my experiences in astronomy with you all in the future - both good and bad.

Enjoying the forum!

Regards

Paul

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kind words guys - I own an Estate Agency in Norwich and it is very stressful, all I want to do when I get home (weather permitting) is to have my tea and view the skys in all their glory for an hour or two now and then so I hope this scope will be just the job.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Regards

Paul

Thank you, I look forward to keeping you all up to date on how I find it.

Should be interesting as I have absolutely no experience what so ever so you could say I am the sort of customer they are aiming these scopes at.

Mind you they are an expensive route to go, just wish I had the time to throw at the normal route. (and to save a bit of money)

Regards

Paul

Moan moan moan moan moan moan...

(Wouldn't like to disappoint you.:D)

Good for you!

You are flirting flagrantly with the dark side and creating secret gadget-envy amongst our fine batch of techy-nerds.

I bet there's loads of us geeks who would love to have a crafty firtle with your dangerously forbidden technology.:evil6::icon_eek:

Enjoy yourself!

Mwar har har!

Hi Lulu57

I have just realized I am a vacuum and you are a sub dwarf! You don't look that small to me!

You have a great way way with words - thanks for the warm welcome - you are a friendly lot.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, welcome to the SGL forum, I seem to recall something appearing in the S@N mag about this scope, splendid optics and its own in built imaging camera, so you should theoretically, be able to take picys straight away, although this may not hold out for very long exposures for deep space objects with the Alt/Az mount, it Will be interesting to see, enjoy your scope when it arrives and please keep us posted.

John.

Never had a telescope before but always been interested in astronomy.

Heres the bad bit. Today I ordered a Meade 8 inch ETX lightswitch, now I know people will say that this is not the normal route to take for a first scope but all I want to do is spend my time looking at the stars and not setting the scope up.

That's a perfectly reasonable and valid way to start off in the hobby. It's just what I did (though I got a U2K). If you have the money and are interested in getting results and seeing stuff then it's the way to go. If it turns out that your interest wanes, you can always sell the kit and only take a small loss - though the value of the lesson learned probably means you'd come out even.

If I'd had to have learned all about star-hopping and constellations and all that malarkey then I'd in all likelihood just walked away and taken up stamp collecting :icon_eek: instead. But being able to see the stuff I wanted to, right from day #1 was a great reward and motivator. Now here I am 12 years later and still using that scope and still interested in the hobby and filling in on the "basics" as I need to.

Good for you.

Hi Paul , I am another newbie from Nowich, I am waiting for my scope to arrive, I was looking at the kind of scope you have, but got ended up going for a scope with a manual mount, I am a sales manager in the motor trade (yes, we are the ones with an even worse reputation than yours :icon_eek: ) and have little spare time to pursue a new hobby, I have looked at the manual for my EQ5 mount online and got to about page 5 before giving up, talk about complicated!!. It will b intereting to compare experiences with you, and if you decide you would like to go to the club with someone thats probably more clueless than you, let me know!

Pffft - you wont get moaned at for your scope but you may get moaned at for being an Estate Agent!

Seriously, I`m sure you will have heaps of relaxing time with that scope - wrap up warm, flask of coffee, peace and quiet in the dark, immersing yourself in the skies... BLISS!!

I think initially I would feel too intimidated to join the Norwich club but if I make good progress I would give them a try.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I urge you to try your local astonomy group. If they are anything like as friendly as the Sheffield one you will be glad that you did. I went to my first meeting (they have regular beginners nights), after only a couple of nights out with a planisphere and binos, and enjoyed it very much. There was a real mix of ages and abilities and I was made to feel very welcome and was not at all intimidated.

I fully intend to join as a full member this year.

Archived