Joining the incoming hordes...

JamesF

I was given a Skywatcher Startravel 80 as a Christmas present having talked about getting a telescope for a while, partly because the kids are interested and it seemed like a good opportunity (not that it's my first -- that was a nasty build-it-yourself plastic thing I was given in the mid-70s). To all intents and purposes I'm starting from a position of zero knowledge though. Pretty much all I could manage three weeks ago was identifying half a dozen constellations.

Typically there's hardly been an even half-clear night since I worked out how to use the mount, but we have managed to find Jupiter and the Galilean moons as well as having a decent look at our moon a few days after new moon. And it's left me plenty of time for reading about what I could be doing when we do finally get a bit of clear sky.

On the positive side, we're out in the wilds of west Somerset and on a clear moonless night it can be so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face, so I'm hoping for good things when it eventually stops raining...

Now if I could just get the hang of this forum stuff -- I've been an email list person for far too many years

James

Hi James and welcome to the forum from me here in Bristol.

If you Goggle STELLARIUM, you can access a FREE planetarium that is seriously useful. It will detail constellations on any date, at any time and in any direction. It is a great resource when you're starting out when you can't find where anything is or when you want to know what that bright object is in the morning sky. :icon_eek::D

Please ask any question be it about kit or anything else, there's always someone here to help.

Clear skies

James

Archived