Hello, another noob giving a wave...

Hig

Hi gang...

just signed up, so saying hello....

I live in Cardiff, and its sort of my 2nd attempt at getting going...

I have always had an interest so last summer I decided to get some gear, did a bit of reading up, and jumped straight in without thinking ahead too much and bought a Skywatcher 130.

The problem I then came across was there was I had nowhere to store such a giant in my humble home and with 2 kids under 5 tearing about the place, short of paying £150 for a shed for it, I had to dismantle it after use and reassemble it all the time, which soon became tedious, and it then went unsed for a few months...

Then last autumn we went away for a few days to Cornwall and stayed about 4miles from lizard point right on the coastline, and it was literally pitch black down there, no light pollution at all and a few nights were totally cloud free and the sky looked just amazing, there were 10 times the stars you could see from my backyard, I could even see the ribbon of the milky way too...

I was gutted I didnt have anything to use and decided I wanted something more practical but also more portable and I would get more use out of it.....

I did read to start with bins before a scope, and a £50 pair of bins are better than a £500 scope, if the scope never gets used... but I ignored it didnt I...!

So I decided for now (until kids grow up a bit or we get a bigger place) to flog the scope, and so recently got around to that (only paid £135 for it from FLO, and got £100 back for it on the bay so not a bad loss...) and I am now about to order a pair of bins and get cracking again...

Can anyone suggest a decent starter pair for under £80???

I was looking on FLO again, at Celestron Skymaster 15x70...

Or would something cheaper give just as good results as those??

Like Helios Fieldmaster 10x50??

Hi Hig and welcome to SGL :)

The Celestron 15x70's are smashing but a tad heavy to hold for long periods - so a photographic tripod and adaptor helps a lot. I also use a fine tuning head on mine for tracking purposes. Great vfm.

Alternatively a pair of Rockwell 10x50's from Liddl (frequently on offer) are only £15 and very good for the price.

All the best :evil6:

Welcome Hig unfortunately little children and astronomy do not mix well but binocs are a good move forward and I agree the 70mm ones will give great views. 70mm will give aching arms and 10x50m will not.

JohnH.

Archived