Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So what will happen when Betelgeuse explodes?

Claire

So I've heard before that it's 'due' to explode, and the stargazing live reminded me of it. But pretty much all they said was that it would shine as a second sun. But is that it?

I mean, apart from JR talking about the end of the world :) what will happen? How long will it shine for, what will we see, will we get any effects here on earth? Will it always shine as bright as the sun?

I know it might not explode for another thousand/million years or whatever, but still :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will still be visible as a point of light. Yes it will be visible during the day and will be bright but it wont blind, burn or irradiate you. Its too far away to do that.

I'm afraid to disappoint you (and me, I want to see a supernova too) but the chances of it going pop during our lifetime is miniscule.

I like the thought that Betelgeuse might already have gone supernova and the light is on its way to us :)

Back in 1054 when the star that has become the Crab Nebula went Supernova, records from that time say you could read at night from the light of that one star!

I like the thought that Betelgeuse might already have gone supernova and the light is on its way to us :)

Back in 1054 when the star that has become the Crab Nebula went Supernova, records from that time say you could read at night from the light of that one star!

I love the thought of that the crab neb star being that bright i

remember reading that you could see it during the day also :D

For arguments sake, if unbeknown to us betelgeuse went supernova on 1.1.11., and bearing in mind i'm 58 this month (no im not looking for presents or cards????) how much longer do i have to live, or how old would i have to be for this event to become apparent on planet earth, and i might see it, im not expecting too many hopeful replies on this one, i believe its about 640 light years away, so translating that into pounds shilling and pence, i think i know the answer is.........."the computer says no"

The name Orion Nebula was taken, what should we call the nebula left over when Betelgeuse blows.

I remember Stargazer live use the term it will explode soon. 'Soon' is relative, in this case, probably within a few million years.

Just so people know it's not an explosion as such. It will become so large that it's gravitational field strength will be too large for it's mass. It will implode and the rapidly expand as a supernova ending with a nebula. Explosion implies that it just goes straight from it's size outwards.

I think it's still an explosion. A nuke explode by first imploding the nuclear material to form a critical mass, before the chain reaction cause it to go off.

You can call it an explosion but it's not. It's more of a bounce.

I'm hoping Betelguese holds it all together a little longer- there's enough light pollution to contend with as it is! :D

Get ready for a stupid question..... just say explosion or what ever Betelgeuse decides to do we are all agreed it will be bright in the sky. My question is dose bright light travel quicker ??? if so will this in fact shorten the time the light takes to reach us ???? Like flash bang grenades releases it energy quickly is the light actually traveling quicker or are the rules of physics the same no matter what when it comes to light speed ??

Archived