Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn December 23, 2010 - 15:34:02 UT

frewi808

After some issues with the telescope and camera, I found some great seeing this morning and took a bunch of Avi's.

The 'dragon' storm was on CM and had to fight the dew after every Avi taken.

Here is the result, will post more as the processing comes along.

You can spot Tethys bottom-right of Saturn.

Processing is really kept to the minimum, VDub > Ninox > Registax Wavelets > PS median filter.

No Color correction or saturation.

Did not ad to much smoothening to show the details in the storm. Processed this Avi twice to make sure that is the shape of the storm. My first impression was that there was something wrong with the stacking. But nop, that's how it is.

Freddy

post-20344-133877512707_thumb.jpg

post-20344-133877512743_thumb.jpg

post-20344-133877512748_thumb.jpg

post-20344-133877512753_thumb.jpg

post-20344-133877512758_thumb.jpg

I was tempted to get the scope out and have a look, nut its 3:30 am and if my neighbours hear me scutting about on the balcony it may disturb them! Akas, my Saturn viewing nights are months away...

Great picture though, I hope for similar things myself

That's outstanding, the storm really has grown!!!

I really like the minimal processing, it looks very natural.

I was out on the morning of the 23rd observing Saturn from North Yorkshire and the seeing was so bad that the storm was not visible until it was leaving the disc later on.

Lovely work Freddy, man that storm is HUGE, if this gets any larger it will look like a new belt. ive never seen a storm like this before any idea what the scientists are making of this ? once again superb captures and what a time to get good seeing, Planetary imaging is so exciting, what with jupiter and now saturn surprising us all no wonder we love doing this. Hope the snow and ice melts soon would love to try to capture this,just looks very unique, looks like its going to dominate for a bit i reckon ? wonder for how long, or how complex this will actually get.

Archived