Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear skies but rubbish seeing ?

John

I've got clear skies here in North Somerset tonight but rather frustrating seeing conditions - normally relatively easy double stars are proving a challenge in the 6" mak-newt (it's been cooling for 2 hours !) and Jupiter refuses to focus crisply for more than a fleeting moment even at relatively low magnification.

Pretty annoying as it all looked a bit good to the naked eye :)

Anyone else having these sorts of issues tonight ?.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got quite excited by the clear sky here in Norfolk but, like you, the seeing was awful. The worst I've had for a long time. Given it up for the evening and set the alarm for Saturn, when maybe the seeing has improved.

Sounds like I had it slightly better than you John but I couldn't make out M33 near the zenith in my ED120 so conditions were far from ideal.

Things got a bit better around 20:30 but I have to be up for work at 5am and it takes me a while to thaw out before I can go to bed!

I got some nice views of Jupiter though from 17:30 onwards upto x200.

Have to admit, I'm wussing out tonight. I'm a bit run down so I've got the imaging kit out doing the biz and rather than throwing the dob out for a spot of observing, I'm staying in. It's not that bad here but it's one of the transparent but unsteady nights here rather than the mucky but still nights.

Tony..

Funny one here, all the signs were there for a really good night, the evening twilight was beautiful, and although there is very little orange in the sky (for here) it isn't exactly as vintage a night as I had hoped. However, as the first half decent clear moonless night in MONTHS i'm determined to make the most of it!

It's just the kind of night I need to get the blue reflection details around IC405, so the camera + Blue filter are doing that as I type, and will be for some time yet :D

Not too bad temperature wise. It's -1°c in the observing part of my obs, and a stifling +3°c inside the "warm room".

Probably my first all night for yonks, might even fire up the spare mount and C9.25 for Saturn in the morning yet :)

Same here, got the big bins out for a look at Jupiter, Ring Neb and the Andromeda Galaxy. At 40x mag I just couldn't get Jupiter sharp at all and even though the core of Andromeda was in view the outer fuzziness wasn't as clear as usual. To make matters worse I just couldn't see the Ring Neb for love nor money.

Packed in about an hour ago and had a nice swift brandy to warm me up.

Sorry you other folks are having the same issues but it's reassuring in some ways that I'm not imagining the seeing conditions. I'm giving Orion a chance to lift above the rooftops a bit and see how things look then.

Seems to be getting better. Stars are twinkling less now. Just found M81 and M82 for the first time in my 15x70's too as a bonus, and to the south, there are stars visible in the binos right down to the horizon almost, hardly ever get that here in Coventry.

Just packed up for the night and quite reassured that everyone else was struggling. Couldn't get anything decent out of jupiter even though its a lovely clear night.

Gave up with it and spent quite a while looking at m42. Seeing has improved a little, and the scope finally cooled so plenty of detail to be seen and even managed to spot the E star in the trapezium which is a first for me. Wasn't easy by any means but definitely there.

Thawing out now then to bed

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Beautifully clear now in North East Lincolnshire - just what a winter's night sky should be like. Marvellous to see Orion standing proud with both his dogs. Sirius is a brilliant white rather than the multi-coloured version we often get. Not too much twinkling either. Good views of the Crab and Owl nebulae and M81/82. Even Andromeda looked good in my L.P. western sky. Thinking about hanging on for Saturn now.

In Keswick it is -10 so I set the camera and laptop to do the watching for me for a couple of hours while I went inside. The seeing looked good through binos.

Since I am only a newbie and getting to grips with my CG5GT mount I thought I would try a different target and some additional star alignments, I went out and it has clouded over! So I am inside whilst it does the darks before it snows again!

Goodnight

David

Hi Mike

I keep trying for the Crab but can't see it. M57 is clear as anything despite being in a direction with bad LP but I just can't find M1. What sort of magnification is best? Any tips?

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

just in from observing Saturn but this morning was just a continuation of last night for me. Poor transparency, poor LP (not helped by the railway) and dreadful seeing. All three scopes out and all three couldn't return a good view of Saturn.

Just hoping tonight will be better.

I've got clear skies here in North Somerset tonight but rather frustrating seeing conditions - normally relatively easy double stars are proving a challenge in the 6" mak-newt (it's been cooling for 2 hours !) and Jupiter refuses to focus crisply for more than a fleeting moment even at relatively low magnification.

Pretty annoying as it all looked a bit good to the naked eye :)

Anyone else having these sorts of issues tonight ?.

Been like that for most of this cold spell for me John :D

Archived