astro2000 203mm

gixere

Hi,

I have the chance to buy an ASTRO2000 203mm reflector telescope with accessories at a very good price.Its for my son who is doing a geology degree and is interested in the planets.My question is would this be worth getting for him as a christmas present bearing in mind my very limited finances.From what I can gather the smaller 114mm reflector scopes dont offer much in the way of viewing.The astro is on an EQ3 mount,which again from what I can gather seems a bit small for an 8 inch scope,but at least this would get him started.Or would it be better to get him something like the celstron 130 reflector.Hope you can all help me,I'm going dizzy reading about telescopes.gixere

I dont know much about this particular model but extremly short tube, poorly made reflector sometimes have a build in len barlow after the focuser to increase the focal length x2. This is certainly not a good thing. looking at this scope it is a 800 f/4 i would try to get at least a focal Ratio of F/5.

personally i would stick with a skywatcher/celestron scope.

The celestron astromaster look like a good range, 130 reflector or 90 refractor.

The skywatcher 130 is a very popular starter scope and is a good scope.

Worth paying the extra for these scopes imo.

Colin

Not very sure of this scope.

The website says free delivery up to Dec 2009.

Astro2000 Telescopes

Scope "looks" OK but the specification needs reading.

It is f/4, but no mention of it being parabolic.

Says free eyepieces are rare with a scope like this. No, they are usually given away happily by other manufacturers.

States "Blue coated" optics. Oh god No!!

Says you can magnify each inch of diameter by 60x, well you could but I suspect all you would see is a blur. Try 30x as a realistic option.

They say: Be wary of brands that offer large 8 inch telescopes with light mounts (EQ2 or EQ3). Err isn't that what you say they are offering it on?

The statement: With an equatorial you can follow an object more easily by moving only one axis (there are 4 axes – horizontal, vertical, right ascension and declination).

Well an axe cut's wood, and on an equitorial there are 2 axis, RA and Dec.

They don't seem to know what resolving power is.

Too many things look wrong.

Not a fan of them but go and price up a simple dobsonian scope of 8 inch diameter.

If just planets then a 6 inch should suffice.

4 inch refractor is another option, tends to give better contrast which on planets is advantageous.

Roughly what is the budget?

I'd leave this well alone and get something from a reputable brand like skywatcher.

Give FLO a call on Monday, their banner is at the top of the page, and I am sure hay could sell you something of far better quality and they know what they are talking about unlike that. Astro2000 scope advert.

Hi all,thanks for taking time to reply to me re astro2000.I'm looking at buying secondhand off the interent,also have a chance of the celestron C8N which seems to get good reviews.Thats is on a CG5 mount which would be up to the job?Also seen a few Tal 1 m going cheap which again get good reviews.Only want to spemd about £100 or less seconhand,but would stretch up for the C8N celestron.gixere

Hello Gixere and welcome to SGL!! Your second scope options look better but it would still be a good idea to go for a new scope from a reputable dealer. Most second hand scopes are OK but if you are not a regular astronomer then it would be too easy to end up with a "dud".

Hi - I had a look at one of these on an ebay auction, but a quick bit of research showed that it probably wasn't a good deal. It's very fast (f4) and without the highest quality optics and mirror mounting it would be very difficult to collimate for the best possible image. Also, I think the mirror is spherical rather than parabolic so this would only add to the problems. Good luck with finding a better scope. Ed

Archived