SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomik CLS EOS Clip-Filter Test

Earl

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I thought i'd try a bit of star trails last night.

With my 17mm lens - you can't use the clip in, due to the lens depth.

Anyhow this is a 60 second image (on a modded 1000D)

Hope to try again tonight, but will be using my CLS CCD Filter & 50mm lens (it's the widest one I have that will fit).

The spike is the neighbours security light .....

Startrails-1.jpg

My decent lenses take 72mm filters! there would be a lot of vignetting

You could get the 1.25" version and use a rubber O ring and a circlip to sit it in the back of the lens. Theres a thread in DIY section somewhere that covers this idea.

• 1 month later...

bumped again

Just got mine this afternoon

Just did a quick and dirty experiment with the filter attached to a 2" mounting tube hand held over a small f2 lens for 0.5s (hence camera shake) - same exposure both

Unfortunately weather forecast is Rubbish again, meant to have rain and sky is clear so no telescope - is it just me or has weather forecasting gone down hill in the last year?

Also did same at some stars overhead and at the murky horizon toward felixstowe docks - it works :happy1:

(IR cut seems to get rid of the red glow I used to get)

edit : spoke to soon - clouds just rolled in :grin:

post-9935-0-49950600-1339110198_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-05594200-1339110378_thumb.jp

Talk about coincidence!!! I only posted this thread this evening http://stargazerslou...s-ccd-any-good/ having not been able find the right thread, so thanks Billhinge for bumping this one :-)

So having done some more research based on both threads I have made the following observations

1. Both my lenses are EFS - So I wll have to remove the clip filter for 'normal' photography.

2. I could buy the non-IR cut filter and save around £50 (although it maybe worth buying the IRcut incase I mod the camera) :huh:

3. But the CLS-CCD includes the IR Cut so no point :cry:

Never an easy decision when it comes to astro :-D

Thanks all,

Justin

• 2 years later...

Has anybody done the same test with other filters for example, Baader Neodium and Skywatcher LP?

Neither are anywhere near as strong as the Atronomik CLS, i never bothered when i have had them though.

I've found that using a colour camera, the CLS filter filters out most light pollution but also introduces a blue hue and cuts out some desired light. The IDAS one is less efficient at filtering out light pollution but also allows more of the desired light through

I tried CLS for M51 because I live near the airport. But imho, It cuts too much "useful" light and I can't get colors right... this is cca 150min of exposure (EOS 50D, BA BCF mod + CLS)

post-37006-0-07532100-1432192809.jpg

Sunka - i'm glad you also think it cuts out too much "useful" light as i do too, but that isn't something others seem to comment on. The colour issue is largely easy to resolve; if you use DSS to stack your images, there is a tick box on one of the screen called "align RGB" or something, this makes the colour balance in the final image much better, then it's just a case of time tuning the colour balance with the colour sliders in whatever image manipulation software you use, to get the desired effect.

James

P.s. Nice image :)

I tried CLS for M51 because I live near the airport. But imho, It cuts too much "useful" light and I can't get colors right... this is cca 150min of exposure (EOS 50D, BA BCF mod + CLS)

This is not correct.

Basically it will make your exposures longer, the filter passes at least 95% of the good stuff

You will need to expose for longer, at least 2 to 3 times longer, may be more, don't stay at the original short LP exposures.

If you want colours correct in camera and  it is modded you will need a custom white balance.

If it lets trough 95% of the good stuff, why for a given exposure setting do stars look much fainter with the filter than without, and to achieve a similar level of star "brightness" the exposure has to be 2, 3, 4 times as long as without the filter?

James

For a given exposure with LP against one without, the LP one will have the histogram pushed further to the right.

The LP filter exposures will be darker, no real less light getting through, it's just your sky is less bright.

To get the histogram in the same place as an LP exposure, when using a filter, takes longer.

I appreciate the histogram issue, as it is the LP which saturates the image. But i am confident that star light is also cut down significantly when the filter is in situ. I need to do some tests. I need a clear night first :)

James

Archived