Hello From Australia

stargazer_tom1

Hi Guys!

Always been fascinated with astronomy and science. Just finished UNI where I undertook a bachelor of science majoring in Geology. Have now started a masters of geoscience and am working full-time for a geological contractor. I now finally have some money to pour into one of my favourite pass times that being astronomy. At the moment I have a really old celestron reflector scope which is ok but i think was marketed for kids lol. Thinking of moving up and getting a CPC 925 XLT and possbily a cannon eos 550d. I'm pretty set on the camera as im after a DSLR for family shots as well as 1080p HD recording. I would love to hear all your experiences advice and tips/tricks.

Im a bit lost as of where to start to get into stargazing properly!

Look forward to chatting with you guys!

All the best,

-Tom

Muswellbrook NSW

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tom

A warm welcome to the SGL love the choice of scope will give great views if you have any budget over may be a nice Tele Vue Nagler they work so well in a SCT f/10

and I also like Meade 5000 UWA they both have a 82 FOV and some filters Astronomik I find the best, let us know what you end up with all the best

Doug

Essex UK

-----------------------------------------------

Meade LX90 8" ACF

Meade 18mm uwa

Tele vue 12mm Nagler

Tele vue 17mm Nagler

Moonfish 30mm

and others

17hm Power tank

Hi there,

Welcome! I've learned more here in very practical amatuer astomony in the last month than I have in the last 20 yrs.

Geology, eh? Now there's a pretty useful and fundamenal science that's been underrated for a long time.

Good luck!

If you'd like a tiny fragment (a maybe 1cm crystal) of Weardale Fluorite, from the Rodgerly mine near Stanhope, Co Durham, UK, please pm me if wish?

To the authorities: this is just CaF...

There is more Fluorine in a brush full of toothpaste than in a gram of Calcium Fluoride!

:)

I keep rocks, too. Not very valuable ones. Just interesting stuff.

Once apon a time, I worked for an oilfield related comapny and still have (given to me) a four inch plug of oil bearing rock. Just sandstone that smells of petrolium.

That came from 14,000 ft under Quatar.

At that depth, it used to be under a pressure of 3000psi and 140 deg C. No wonder it should be treated with respect.

Archived