Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all.

jwallis

As a newcomer to this fasinating hobby, i stumbled upon this website and read a few posts and was really pleased with what i saw.

Anyway, a short intro.

I have just ordered the SkyLiner 300P FlexTube AUTO which should be on my doorstep within the next couple of days.

I started off with a very small telescope and as i really enjoyed looking up into the sky with that, i thought i would buy myself a larger scope which is portable, and which offeres better views.

As i live in poole in dorset, the new forest is only 20 minutes ride in my car and you can get some really great dark observation places there.

My question to all is simply this.

Will i be able to take some reasonable photos with my DT18-55MMF3.5-5.6SAM DSLR-A290L SONY CAMERA?

Also, i am really keen to meet up with maybe a group from the area i live in for stargazing nights.

Thanks in advance,

Jon:)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jon and welcome from me to, what a great scope for your first buy, should have some great views with that beast, just hope you got a big boot lol.

As for the photo's, not to sure but Dob's i believe are not the best for photo's but i'm sure there is a way

Hi Jon and welcome to the forum.

Well that scope is certainly going to be showing you nice objects and should at least keep your aperture fever down to normal temperatures. :):D

My understanding is that dobs are great value for money because most of it's cost goes into the mirror and not on other stuff like tracking motors and GOTO. Regrettably you won't be able to take images of deep sky objects such as galaxies, nebula etc because you will need to precisely track those objects for a long period of time in order to collect the required digital data. The other problem too is that a dob is on an altazimuth mount which again adds difficulty in tracking because you are having to control the scope in two direction, be it left/right and up/down. That is why equatorial mounts are preferred because the up/down movement has been incorporate into the natural movement of that type of mount. That leaves only planets and the moon as 'possible' targets as their brightness does not require any 'tracking' because sufficient data can be captured using a video camera in a very short period of time. I'm not an imager and so I don't know if people have tried capturing images of planets using their dobs, hopefully someone can advise you more precisely. Does your camera have video capabilities?

Visually, you have bought a very good scope indeed.

Clear skies

James

Thanks for all the replys.

What a warm welcome. I have just finished work now untill next monday. With hope my new scope will be arriving tomorrow, so hopefully clear skys.

Once i have set it up, i will keep you posted on what i have been able to see etc , and hopefully, from what i have gathered, im going to be blown away with this scope:).

As for deep space photograghy, i may invest on another scope with a different mount for those.

All the best, Jon.

Hi Jon, welcome to the Lounge.

Nice scope, yup you will be blown away!

There are some great things to see with that beastie, if you haven't already got it, download Stellarium, it's free and very useful. Not that you will need it to locate objects, but could prove handy for planning what to look at.

Stellarium

Hello, I also got that DSLR. I would be good for taking pictures of the moon and planets, but not for faint objects or galaxies. The reason is that you need tracking for these objects, and a dobsonian scope does not have that capability. However, using a good telephoto lens and a tripod you can take some nice pictures with the camera without the need for a scope. Advice: Do not put the ISO setting too high (3200). The picture gets very noisy (although with dark frames you can improve that).

Archived