Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

would be newbie

li'l john

Hello to you all,

Just to introduce myself, I am John from Dorset and I am very interested in taking up astronomy. I would have done it years ago but telescopes seemed very expensive compared to today. I haven't bought a scope yet, the choice is bewildering but I think I'll get a Heritage 130P dob. I choose this because of the reveiws I've read (all good), the price (great), and its relatively small size (I'll be carrying it up a ladder to a flat roof. If i need to take it anywhere it will be by motorcycle). I read an article on collimation and almost chose to get a refractor instead but the larger aperture for the money has brought me round again to the dob. Is the Heritage a good choice, does anyone out there use one? Can you give me the dims of the box ?(so i can see if it will fit in my largest rucksack)

I almost went to scopenskies before i read some posts about them, now I expect to go to Harrisons.

Thanks for reading this and double thanks if you can answer one of my questions. L'l John

Welcome to SGL, the Skywatcher range overall are good value for money. One thing I must warn you about when buying a new telescope, there is a packet of clouds within the box and they spread very quickly when the box is opened for the first time. You will get clouded out for weeks afterwards, it seems to be the norm, happened when I got my firsr scope!!!:)

Hi John,

A very warm welcome to SGL, unable to offer any advice on the scope but if you have not made your mind up with regard to supplier, you might do well to consider our sponsor FLO, who I am sure will be able to meet your needs, a more friendly bunch of chaps you could ever wish to deal with, I have no connection with the company whatsoever, but as many hundreds of forum members will testify, they are excellent, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Archived