Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can i see any details on ISS with 15x70's?

I've tried exactly that with my 15x70's but was mildly disappointed lol Couldn't see any detail at all even in really good seeing. Not sure what magnification you'd need for that but I have seen pics from someone who'd tracked it with a large dob and got a very hazy snap of the solar panels - but no real detail. :)

I looked the other night and it definitely had 'shape' and I could make out two lobes in my 15x70s but it was low altitude and therefore quite badly positioned the other night. this week's shows are getting a bit better I think. will be good to see it going over high like earlier in the year with my new bins.

I'll report back when I have another look.

I once saw the solar panels (the shape of them) one on either side of the main part of the ISS using 10X50 bins. No detail as such. the whole thing just looked very overexposed but there definitely was shape to be seen.

I've tried it again a couple of times with the same bins and saw nothing but a point of light.

I had a look at it a few nights ago and i could make out some shape, for a start the back part of the main bit looked more orangey in colour, probably it was slightly darker and i think i could see what was the solar panels, it lookes a bit like this -0- but smaller! the top of the 0 was more ornagey colored than the bright white colour of the front so would suggest some areas were not as brigtly lit.

I have seen shape on the ISS with my 15x70 on several occasions. The first time it showed as a roughly rectangular shape, with a suggestion of detail. On better passes I got a strong suggestion of two side-by-side, elongated structures joined together. I get the best view through thin cloud, as otherwise glare washes out all detail. It is definitely extended but also hard to track manually.

Up until a couple of months ago I had a pair of Canon IS (image stabilised) 10x50's. They were brilliant for looking at ISS - you could definitely make out shape. Had to raise some cash quicky unfortunately, but the best bins I've ever looked through.

Archived