Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

No sense of humour at the BBC....

budski

Hi Guys, I did a radio interview yesterday for the BBC on astronomical matters during which the young interviewer asked what other basic equipment was needed by a budding observer. I replied that a tall conical hat emblazoned with the signs of the Zodiac and a flowing black cape were essential. I had the distinct feeling that the interviewer was somewhat bemused - he fondly imagined we went about in hoods and anoraks! I was pleased to set the record straight as it seems we are a misunderstood bunch.

An astronomer with a sense of humour - can't be a bad thing. It is funny how people have expectations that a certain interest will attract a certain type of person and the media has a lot to answer for in perpetuating these stereotypes. Yet, Brian Cox seems a nice guy and his recent series on the Cosmos will do a lot to promote a positive personal image regarding astronomy and will help persuade many people that you don't have to hire out thick spectacles, wear a striped tank top and talk in an idiosyncratic way. (.....crikey, there's going to have to be a big change in my wardrobe then!):):D

James

totally agree re Brian Cox. before I saw this I have to admit I assumed it would be another balding guy in glasses droning on as this is the sort of person they often seem to pick. oh no, sorry, that's me (well OK I'm not really boring but my wife will confirm I am all the others). but talk about a 'passionate performance' from a young and trendy physicist - I bet even people with no interest were inspired a little.

I'm an astromoner and I have a sense of humour. Ok it may be warped and not a very good sense of humour but its a sense of humour nontheless.

Can I purchase a tall conical hat emblazoned with the signs of the Zodiac and a flowing black cape from FLO? I didnt know I'd need them when I started this hobby. Maybe once I get them then I'll be able to track down that oh-so-elusive NGC 1962.

I thought the BBC would have been more than happy to perpetuate the idea that scientists were "eccentric". They've been "dining out" on that for years? Although Brian Cox, for me, typifies the modern particle physicist, I still prefer Jim Al-Khalili's more down to earth style. Maybe I've overcome an inate circumspection re. theoreticians? :)

Hi Guys, I did a radio interview yesterday ... I replied that a tall conical hat emblazoned with the signs of the Zodiac and a flowing black cape were essential. .

Well, the cape IS essential. You place it on the telescope and then pop your head under it, to avoid spurious light from spoiling your night vision. As far as the hat goes - it's dark, who can tell what an astronomer wears. :)

Weighing barely more than an eyepiece!

You could always make one from bacofoil ....

.... Actually the best hats for astronomers are Red Army ushanka - very warm & stay on even in a stiff breeze (my wizard's hat blew away long ago & the "capricious zephyrs" for which this coast is renowned tore my cape to ribbons)

Archived