NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please don't shoot the messenger!

FLO

Talking to others in the astronomy trade and industry it is becoming clear that prices will increase in the new year. China is under increasing inflationary pressure, their workers want a fair wage and the cost of raw materials continues to rise. Factor in the 2.5% increase in VAT (due Jan 4th) and things don't look good. Most other industries will be similarly affected.

Retailers and distributors don't like significant price rises so some of the extra costs will be absorbed, but probably only for a month or two. If you are planning a purchase it would probably be wise to complete it before the new year.

HTH

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when the pound dropped in value a few years back and importing from China became more expensive. Everyone passed on the costs until it reached the retailer. In the small hobby business we couldn't pass it on so had to absorb it and it hurt. When we did add it people blamed the retailers for being greedy!!!!!!

Totally ignoring the distributors unwillingness to budge and the fact the government killed the pound when they slashed interest rates.

Retail is blumming hard and margins are tiny for most.

Anywho...it looks like I'll be paying a premium if I can't get things sorted by the time VAT goes up. Tough really. unless FLO do interest free credit! lol :)

That's why I bought my "realistic" dream scope this year (my dream scope has a MUCh larger aperture...:)). I had a feeling this was coming, coupled with the VAT increase. I was going to upgrade in a year's time as well!

I imagine used prices will also reflect the increase. :mad:

Seriously guys .... everything else except housing has gone up hugely in price in the last few years, there's got to be some catching up with inflation to do.

The price tag isn't everything. Reducing quality to keep the sticker price stable is not a sensible option IMHO.

Just to put what has been said into perspective...... I am involved ( slightly ) in the cycle game. A part ordered from Japan that was £18 last week has gone to £ 25 !! And this is still October 2010. Bargain.

Dave.

Thanks for the heads up Steve.

In my business we are definitely encouraging people to buy now and save a few quid. A lot of suppliers haven't yet upped their prices this year from those set early on, even though container shipping prices went through the roof in April. The main supplier I deal with was paying $1200 a container in March, in April that went to $3000! Add to that the fact that the Chinese are finally starting to appreciate that workers have rights, I think its only fair that we accept a few price rises.

It was inevatable that the wage bill in China would rise (and so it should) and thus the cost to us would go up.

Pity much of the new delicious looking Skywatcher products will not happen to next year after the VAT rise.

At least the Chinese "fix" their exchange rate so currency fluctuations are not in the equation, not yet at least.

• 4 months later...
Talking to others in the astronomy trade and industry it is becoming clear that prices will increase in the new year. China is under increasing inflationary pressure, their workers want a fair wage and the cost of raw materials continues to rise. Factor in the 2.5% increase in VAT (due Jan 4th) and things don't look good. Most other industries will be similarly affected.

If you are planning a purchase it would probably be wise to complete it before the new year.

HTH

At 5pm yesterday Skywatcher's UK importer issued a new trade price list. Pretty-much everything is affected.

I spent most of last night applying the changes!

If you discussed a purchase with us yesterday and want to place your order today please email questions@firstlightoptics.com. Where we are able we will respond with a discount-code that will reduce the cost down to yesterday's pre-increase price. Some of the price increases will cause us to lose money if we sell at pre-increase prices so we will only be offering the reductions to those who are already in discussion with us.

HTH,

Steve :(

Archived