Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

lunator

Useful Double Star links & Websites

Thanks for posting the links :)

I was wondering if there was a list of double stars in an order of how difficult they are the separate. Such that you could work your way down the list until you can't resolve a pair, and thus use it as a scale to test your optics/seeing conditions?

Thanks for the links Ian. I think these are most of the ones you mentioned in your talk at SGL5 aren't they?

Plenty of info there to keep me going!

For double stars a good book to get hold of is Double Stars for Small Telescopes By Sissy Haas ,and the next one is the Cambridge Double Star Atlas,have found them very usefull.

• Like 1

Just found my way down to this section and as I have become a bit of a double fan, glad i did.

Just to add that Turn left at Orion has a good few doubles listed which will keep you busy for a few nights.

I will look out for the other books mentioned, thanks.

I've just found this post too, nice to get some more websites to look at. I quite like doubles.

Glad I found this post. I've been looking for what book to get for double star observation. I think I have just about found all the Messier objects that I can from my light polluted garden and restricted views. This will give me something to do this winter as it is not always practical to drive out to dark skies. Do the books mentioned have star charts so that you can find the doubles ?.I have a ipad app that lists all the double stars but no info on how to find them.

The Cambridge Double Star Atlas has doubles to a combined mag of 7.5 with a cut-off of 10.5 for the companion.

The maps show the doubles plus nebulae and other dso's. well worth a buy.

So it's great for doubles and as a general star map.

• Like 1

Thanks for the links,Ian.  However,I think that I must mention the 'Starsplitters site, here  https://bestdoubles.wordpress.com.          Gregg Stone and John Nanson have produced,and continue to add to ,an absolutely stupendous body of work.Long may they continue!

• Like 1

Re books- Burnham's celestial handbooks volumes 1-3 have extensive lists of double stars with co-ordinates.An extraordinary body of work for one man.These books may be dated now,in some respects,but I think that they contain a tremendous amount of still useful information that you just don't get from any other source,presented in an idiosyncratic style. A true  testament to Burnham's work.Easily found ,used, at very reasonable prices.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2010 at 14:15, lunator said:

Eagle Creek does not work now have to go here   http://web.archive.org/web/20170419050003/http://astronomy.eaglecreekobservatory.org/doubles/

• Like 1

Stelledoppie is one of the best double star application. Also you can export xls lists with almost any filtering criteria. I really recommend it for double star lovers :)

• Like 1

+1 for Stelledoppie.

• Like 1