Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 27.9.10 Decent Seeing 127mm Mak

AztecastroMcJ

so i captured Jupiter on 25th, 26th and here on 27th

(think this is 1st for me getting hatrick of consecutive Jup's)

anyway back to 27.9.10 captures attached, conditions didn't look as good as previous nights, but suprisingly in between clouds i got some decent seeing

Craterlet @10fps, Reg 5.1, and Gimp

127mm Mak @ approx f/36 using ext and Tal x3 barlow

SPC 900 Webcam with UV/IR filter

possible my best result so far :(

impressed with detail esp with NEB details and detail to edge of planet which i have found quite rare before

also similar oval/spot to Jnr (same colour) can be seen fairly well (above NEB roughly 195 degrees and 50 degrees on map)

also white oval's towards South are standing out well

and GRS is showing a bit of detail also

still got more avi's to check stack etc

this is 1300 best frames stacked from 1500

see 1st pic for more details

attached pics 3 and 4 @100% capture size just stacked and wavelets, ready for further processing

comments, tips, critics welcomed :icon_salut:

James

post-16858-133877487321_thumb.jpg

post-16858-133877487325_thumb.jpg

post-16858-133877487327_thumb.jpg

post-16858-133877487329_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thx for all Great comments, much appreciated as always.

Not sure how where i go from here, as i think i am reaching this superb value scopes limit, maybe with better cam like DMK and similar or better conditions i could improve a bit more,

still not happy with my processing either as find its either to sharp and noisy or to blurry and lacking detail, getting it right is definetly an art in itself.

This result has made me realise its also worth taking some captures even when u prob don't think its worth it, i had 3 consecutive nights as i said,

and was out for average of 3-5 hrs at least on each night, it was very cold, and i was very tired, and i felt like giving up much quicker than i did,

but getting this result made me glad of effort i put in.

Mentioned this before but help i've had by Neil, Kolatha Man, Rik and others on here and other forums has been massive help,

aswell as reading lots of guides and posts from other more experienced imagers has been massive help so thanks again. :icon_salut:

Great images James. What is your impression of the Tal barlow?

Harry

thx Harry,

impressions are its very well made for relatively cheap barlow,

its interesting in that it is shortest length barlow i have, even shorter than x2 SW barlow, i am only using it for imaging with webcam not viewing,

but its looks ok for that aswell when using with right EP,

it is a 2 element lense which means less glass than say 3 element lense such as revelation astro 2.5x i have also

hope this helps

James

thx Harry,

impressions are its very well made for relatively cheap barlow,

its interesting in that it is shortest length barlow i have, even shorter than x2 SW barlow, i am only using it for imaging with webcam not viewing,

but its looks ok for that aswell when using with right EP,

it is a 2 element lense which means less glass than say 3 element lense such as revelation astro 2.5x i have also

hope this helps

James

Thank you James this does indeed help. Can I ask how you feel it compares with the x4 Imagemate which I see you have in your kit. I have the both the webcam and imagemate and use it on a C6S and would appreciate you views.

Harry

Amazing images. If you consider the cost of the scope and the camera, the planetary images are simply sensational. I wonder how much you would have to spend to see a signifant improvement?

Well as you have the same scope and camera as me, you've certainly set a high benchmark to follow. Fingers crossed it's clear here tonight and I can finally try out this webcam.

Many thanks again for all great comments

Thank you James this does indeed help. Can I ask how you feel it compares with the x4 Imagemate which I see you have in your kit. I have the both the webcam and imagemate and use it on a C6S and would appreciate you views.

Harry

think its pushing my scope to far if i'm honest at least with Jupiter Saturn (to dim) and moon, it is great practice and bit of fun really, seeing Jupiter even blurry at this scale is superb

although i'm sure i'll be using it on Mars and Venus, already had ok result using it on Venus earlier this year,

for ur scope and Jupiter i would recommend Tal 3x, its half price of 4x aswell

regards James

Many thanks again for all great comments

think its pushing my scope to far if i'm honest at least with Jupiter Saturn (to dim) and moon, it is great practice and bit of fun really, seeing Jupiter even blurry at this scale is superb

although i'm sure i'll be using it on Mars and Venus, already had ok result using it on Venus earlier this year,

for ur scope and Jupiter i would recommend Tal 3x, its half price of 4x aswell

regards James

Thanks James. I think I will order the Tal

Archived