Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 Andromeda Galaxy - from Kelling Heath Autumn SP 2010 - now plus core only shot

Tim

Here's the data from just this year. It adds up to 6.5 hours worth of shots, grabbed over several nights between batches of cloud. Subs are a mixture of 10 and 15 minutes.

Taken with Borg 77EDII+0.85 reducer, QHY8+CLS filter. Stacked in DSS (lights, flats, darks, bias) and processed in Pixinsight. Star reduction and star colour courtesy of Noels tools. If I get time I want to do a crop of the core and process it differently.

Here is a link to the full size version :

http://www.btinternet.com/~mr.squeegee/Astro/M31-6.5-hours-Kelling-2010.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Tim

post-14037-133877486974_thumb.jpg

Here's the cropped centre section, processed independently. As you can see there is dust right to the very core, and stars in there too. Pixinsights HDR wavelet tool really helps with this one. Even with the 10 min and 15 min subs, nothing has been lost really.

It gives the impression to me of the whole galaxy rotating anti-clockwise, or would that need reversing due to the telescope view??

Cheers

post-14037-133877486984_thumb.jpg

That is really amazing. If I'm lucky on my images, Andromeda looks like soap markings around a plug hole. You've really nailed the detail on that one.

10 minute subs scares me though - I can only get 2 mins before I start to see trails.

Archived