Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Skywatcher kit incoming!

FLO

Those scopes were very interesting at Astrofest, the size of the 8" reminded me of the length of the 150P, the 10" didn't appear as huge as I originally thought, but the 12" is hugemungass..

Nadeem

*EDIT: The new Quattro 8" has a FL of 800mm - thanks AndyUK*

Both the Quattro 8" and Explorer 6"/150P have 750mm of focal length, but does anyone know what the focal length of the Quattro 10" is? (Is it the same as the Explorer 8"/200P?)

I'm thinking that the Quattro 8" will be a nice imaging OTA upgrade for my Explorer 150P :glasses1:

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't sure how easynit would be to 'hide' the 10" in my flat so decided to get an extant 8"f4 instead... Pity Skywatcher have had to delay things. I might upgrade later on.. I agree the 12" might have been an f4 but it looked a bit like an elephant and the eq6 mount had a rather large collection of counterweights on the other end.... Looks like it could dealwith the eq7/8 instead!

Cheers

PEterW

Thanks for looking that up, Andy. I have corrected my post.

So the 200mm/8" Quattro has a FL of 800mm, that's very stubby - almost like taking the 6" Newt and fattening it. At 1.09kg, that's really amazing and I reckon it's a misprint too... I would expect the mirror cell to weigh more than that alone. Still, if they have the weight under control this would mean I could remove a counterweight and probably find my portable battery lasts longer.

And with two thirds f-stop of extra light, I'm really, really excited about this scope! I wonder if it has any internal baffles, flocking or other contrast-improving qualities? I assume it will come with the PDS-style dual speed crayford focusers?

Hi Mike - I can't answer your questions about internal baffles, flocking or other contrast-improving qualities, but it would appear that the focuser is a dual speed 10:1 crayford type... They advertise is a 2" Linear Power focuser:

This linear power focuser utilizes 4 precision ball bearings to support the drawtube and provide great stability and no image shift while supporting a heavy eyepiece or a camera. Moving the drawtube by the roller rather than a rack and pinion set-up found in lower-cost focusers ensures exceptionally smooth operations, great feel and precise adjustability. The dual speed feature has a second focus knob that has a 10 to 1 speed reduction to provide the super-fine adjustment even the most demanding users can appreciate.

However, they also note that the thermal qualities of a CF tube outweighs that of an Aluminium tube:

The optical tubes of 200mm f/4 and 250mm f/4 reflectors are made of carbon fiber. Carbon fiber tube is strong and lightweight and has much better thermal stability comparing to an aluminum tube. This

becomes especially important for astro-photographers dealing with long exposure astro-photography. Imaging telescope made of less thermally stable material may deviate from its optimal focus after long time exposure. With telescopes that are constructed with carbon fiber tube, it can remain in focus for a longer period of time and long exposure images will stay clear and in-focus.

Hi Mike - I can't answer your questions about internal baffles, flocking or other contrast-improving qualities, but it would appear that the focuser is a dual speed 10:1 crayford type... They advertise is a 2" Linear Power focuser:

This linear power focuser utilizes 4 precision ball bearings to support the drawtube and provide great stability and no image shift while supporting a heavy eyepiece or a camera. Moving the drawtube by the roller rather than a rack and pinion set-up found in lower-cost focusers ensures exceptionally smooth operations, great feel and precise adjustability. The dual speed feature has a second focus knob that has a 10 to 1 speed reduction to provide the super-fine adjustment even the most demanding users can appreciate.

However, they also note that the thermal qualities of a CF tube outweighs that of an Aluminium tube:

The optical tubes of 200mm f/4 and 250mm f/4 reflectors are made of carbon fiber. Carbon fiber tube is strong and lightweight and has much better thermal stability comparing to an aluminum tube. This

becomes especially important for astro-photographers dealing with long exposure astro-photography. Imaging telescope made of less thermally stable material may deviate from its optimal focus after long time exposure. With telescopes that are constructed with carbon fiber tube, it can remain in focus for a longer period of time and long exposure images will stay clear and in-focus.

It all seems rather good. Now we await reviews and more importantly, pricing.

Sorry to rain on your parade, just look at telescope service Monorail Focusers, same type of focusers but built better. I looked at those focusers on the newts at astrofest, I was not impressed. I think you better of bunging a Moonlite on it or upgrading it to a TS Dual Speed Monorail for £150 or so.

Edit: Mind you they were just prototypes, they might improve the final versions, but I have my doubts..

Nadeem

I have to second Nadeem regarding the focuser. I also looked at those at Astrofest, and I don't think they are approriate for astrophoto. Hopefully they will be improved when they are out for sale as the scopes looks promising.

/Lars

• 1 month later...

I know I shouldnt ask but im going to anyway haha but could there be any sign of new skywatcher maks? or similar as im looking atm to getting the omni xlt127 or the skymax 127, but if there is newer models etc coming out id rather wait so any chance of shedding light as to if there are any new compounds coming from skywatcher :)

We are expecting the Quattro f4 Imaging Newtonians around early summer, but that will probably be all we'll see til around September.

We'll post pix and details as they come in :)

Me = want. (Assuming they will sit happily on a HEQ5 PRO, of course!)

Since they're carbon fibre, and so presumably lighter, I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

This is my hope. They're also 25cm shorter (for the 200P version) in focal length than the 200P is currently.

...maybe with Carbon fibre the 12" could fit on an EQ6 without requiring an elephant to balance it..... dreams on! Originally the scopes were due in April/May.... problems?? As long as they turn up by autumn then they'll be in time for the new 'observing season'.

Cheers

PEterW

• 2 weeks later...
I like the idea of the 10" on my HEQ5 - might be able to put off the (inevitable) NEQ6 upgrade a while longer...

I've had a similar setup with an older 10" SW Newt and it worked OK for visual but the HEQ5 felt right at the edge of its limits.

Archived