Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Skywatcher kit incoming!

FLO

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't blame you, that new 120ED sounds amazing :icon_salut:

I'm rather excited by the 100ED F5 bad boy, it's only 500mm :(

Any idea on the elements on the 100ED Steve, has it got a corrected flat field like the 120ED?

That's the most interesting for me as well. Really nice looking piece of kit.

I'm rather excited by the 100ED F5 bad boy, it's only 500mm :(

Any idea on the elements on the 100ED Steve, has it got a corrected flat field like the 120ED?

That one has caught my eye too. We don't know the glass type but a Petzval design can potentially offer a flatter field and have less chromatic abberation than a standard doublet or triplet of the same specification.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see :icon_salut:

Steve

Gonna be a busy year on the reviews front, that's for sure!...

Surely you are not expecting sympathy Nick :(

Personally, I shall be very interested in the 8" f4 Newtonian. An f4 reflector depends greatly on accurate collimation. Synta mirror cells are usually robust and hold collimation well so I have high hopes :icon_salut:

OOhh.. so does this mean the CF 10" could sit on an EQ5?

As you know Rob, it isn't only the weight but the physical size that matters. Large Newtonians can act like a sail in a breeze. James has used his 10" f5 Newtonian on a Celestron CG5 mount, it works but it isn't ideal.

As you know Rob, it isn't only the weight but the physical size that matters. Large Newtonians can act like a sail in a breeze. James has used his 10" f5 Newtonian on a Celestron CG5 mount, it works but it isn't ideal.

Indeed Steve.. just wondered if it would be ok for the Vixen GP on the Titan pier!!... could be a good combo?.

Very interested all the same

Cheers

Rob

Surely you are not expecting sympathy Nick :(

Personally, I shall be very interested in the 8" f4 Newtonian. An f4 reflector depends greatly on accurate collimation. Synta mirror cells are usually robust and hold collimation well so I have high hopes :icon_salut:

Steve...no...no sympathy...unless you're my bank manager..

The 8" F4 does indeed look interesting.

We think there are more...

Personally, I would like to see another Mak-Newt similar to the excellent Skywatcher 190MN. And it is interesting that Synta/Skywatcher still haven't entered the triplet refractor market.

Not that we are complaining :icon_salut:

If another, smaller, MakNewt comes on the market let me know please!

I love my 150P but I feel that 2011 will be the year of astronomical upgrades :(

Do you have the spec for the new carbon tubes? Prices? Availability dates?

I'm wondering if I can support a 10" carbon tube on my HEQ5 PRO (where a 250PX might be a little heavy).

I would have thought easy!!.. being Carbon Fiber she will be so much lighter.. I plan to stick it on my Vixen GPe on the Titan pier...:). The titan pier was designed to be sold with an EQ5 to support an SN10!!:o... so I'm sure a CF 10" will be good

Do you have the spec for the new carbon tubes? Prices? Availability dates?

I'm sure Steve has said somewhere all this stuff is due mid-2011 so there probably won't be any prices till closer to the time, and also add 20% VAT

I would have thought easy!!.. being Carbon Fiber she will be so much lighter.. I plan to stick it on my Vixen GPe on the Titan pier...:). The titan pier was designed to be sold with an EQ5 to support an SN10!!:o... so I'm sure a CF 10" will be good

The SN10 is heavy @ 38kg according to Meade 10" LXD55 SN10 Telescope. 100455-01, 100455-02. Meade Telescopes.

On the other hand the new carbon 8" is F/4, ooooh :headbang: I'd like to see a comparative review of them both.

I think things are going to get very interesting for astronomers once this new kit is available.

I'm sure Steve has said somewhere all this stuff is due mid-2011 so there probably won't be any prices till closer to the time, and also add 20% VAT

I'm going to enjoy my current scopes (selling the Mak, but keeping the Newt) until then. Or I might get tempted into a 200P before the year turns around :o

I'm going to enjoy my current scopes (selling the Mak, but keeping the Newt) until then. Or I might get tempted into a 200P before the year turns around :o

It's going to be hard resisting upgrades till all this comes out!

Even if it comes out quite pricey the second hand market is going to be superb, I look forward to getting a Equinox 120 for dirt cheap :)

It's going to be hard resisting upgrades till all this comes out!

Resistance. Isn't there a saying about how futile that is?

Even if it comes out quite pricey the second hand market is going to be superb, I look forward to getting a Equinox 120 for dirt cheap :)

I can't see those getting dirt cheap at all anytime soon!

I'm incredibly tempted by the possibility of a non-unwieldy 10" reflector (you've gotta love the wide field of view). An APO, maybe :headbang: I understand I need a cheap one to use as a finder - maybe Skywatcher is listening and will re-release a carbon fibre version of the ED80 [edit: I mean ST80 :o

Archived