Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Skywatcher kit incoming!

FLO

But in the skywatcher catalogue, there is a image of this kit with a normal dob (standart white skyliner series). I think the kit works with both types:skyliner and flextube.

I want this kit! Any news about it?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a produc to upgrade a normal dob to goto

Skywatcher withdrew that product before it was launched. They were concerned the encoders and motors would not be sturdy enough to take the extra work required to operate the mount in GOTO. They were also concerned that the Dobsonian base was not rigid enough for accurate GOTO. I understand one or two dealers (not in the UK) or individuals have put together an upgrade kit but it doesn't have Skywatcher's approval.

The newer Flextube GOTO Dobsonians have a more rigid base and upgraded motors and encoders.

Hope that helps.

I would love to know what you think about the 16 inch flexi tube. It looks great, but I would worry about the stability of the secondary mirror housing. Are they substantial enough??

FLO hasn't sold one. We have received enquiries but they usually end when people realise the base won't fit through their door-frame. If the other models are anything to go by there will not be any issues with the secondary mirror arrangement.

HTH

The problem with large, thick, optics is they need plenty of time to acclimatise to a change in temperature. A 16-inch Dob will need to be stored in a shed or garage so it's mirror will be ready to go.

The problem with large, thick, optics is they need plenty of time to acclimatise to a change in temperature. A 16-inch Dob will need to be stored in a shed or garage so it's mirror will be ready to go.

Very true, my 14" is stored in an unheated shed but it gets the afternoon sun, and that's enough to warm it above ambient - it really needs an hour or more to settle down, sometimes even a couple if outside temperatures are dropping fast.

Same here Ben,

My 14" Flextube GOTO is stored in my garage. In Winter it tends to be about 7 or 8 degrees above the outside temperature near the garage door (where the scope sits). By the time I drive to my dark sky site, in an unheated car, the mirror is only a few degrees above ambiant. Once set up (5 minutes) I collimate, then recollimate about 20mins later, after that it stays in collimation all night.

I find the 14" holds collimation well, the GOTO is pretty accurate and the tracking fairly smooth. I have had some wonderful views using a 31mm Nagler or a 10mm Ethos. M13 is fully resolved to the core in the 10mm Ethos, and just blows me away every time.

Tom

Hi FLO! Thanks for the welcome, and forgive my english, i'm spanish. I'll put a link to the skywatcher catalogue we referred in my previous post. I think it's the 2011 because appear the new 5elements refractors, flextube goto 14 and16 and eq7mount. In page 20 is the goto kit upgrade, so I guess that it will be released soon.

Skywatcher catalogue 2011:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3Z1JCKKJ

Unfortunately, I don't have access to my back garden so I would have to store any larger kit in my house. Im looking at making one with the assistance of my local society instead :) fingers crossed!!

Archived