NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

astrogear crazyness

CGolder

Why is it that no matter what equipment I have, I always want more, I must be mad. perhaps its a common problem in astronomy??

I love my 10" dob and my mak127, but because I have the LXD75 , The mount rarely gets used as its not "required" for the scopes i have, and has a long set up. but instead of parting with the mount i feel compelled to buy a pretty new scope to go on it, i am not really sure why? :D lol no scope i buy will give the views that my dob can offer or the portability of the mak. I don't image with anything more that a webcam.

What is this astrogear crazyness and how do i cure it? where did my common sense go? I haven't had a clear sky in weeks and probably spend more time looking at gear than looking through it... there must be something in the eye peice. :)

What is this astrogear crazyness and how do i cure it? where did my common sense go? I haven't had a clear sky in weeks and probably spend more time looking at gear than looking through it... there must be something in the eye peice. :D

Therein lies the problem - too much time available for thinking "now, what if I had a ........... , I'm sure that would improve my view" at which point common sense goes right out the window.

I know all about it I don't think we have more than two clear nights in the last three weeks here on the sunshine coast (where its chucking it down at the moment again)!

It is a problem with astronomy unfortunately

It's not the same in other hobbies, at least with mountain biking I know that no matter how many thousands I spent on a bike it wouldn't make a significant difference to the experience

However spending thousands on a monster scope would, it's all very tempting!

Part of the problem with Astro is all the equipment is linked together - you start thinking "I could get that 'scope, but then my eyepieces wouldn't be quite right, so I could swap ... for ..., but then i'd need ... oh, but I could replace ... with ...". Coupled to long spells of poor weather, where there's not much to do other than chat on SGL and browse FLO, then it's no wonder we're always tweaking the collection :D

And, yeah, there's no cure :)

I think that some of those 'longing for' desires in astronomy, at least on the imaging side, comes from flicking through the gallery sections in astro magazines. So you see someone who's taken an amazing deep-sky photo from the top of the Chilean mountains with a monster scope and monster CCD cam, you think "pfff well of course it would be a good picture if you had all those toys".. So you continually want a piece of the action.

With me I find it's this time of the year, when the new observing season is about to start, that I tend to go a little mad. Already this summer I've picked up 7mm and 17mm Naglers, neither of which I could really afford, but I had to have them. The Radians had to go.

That's why they invented Epiphone, for me :)

It's too true though, the crazyness, it's all this sitting around waiting for the skies to clear - I'd probably only used my telescope around 10-15 times before I replaced it with a new one. The mount even less! Now it's 2 days 'til pay day, I'm already eyeing up a coma corrector! :D

Archived