Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Its Finally Here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two great things happened over the weekend, 1) SGL reached a milestone of 8000 members and 2) I now have a Roll Off Roof Observatory :):hello2::):hello2:

I started planning/dreaming of an Observatory back in 2008 shortly after I started astro imaging but due to one thing and another ( 3 house moves falling apart at the last minute :hello2:) it is only now I have realised my dream.

The Observatory was built and installed by Alexander’s Observatories (hence why this post isn’t in the DIY Observatory section :hello2:) and I have to say I’m impressed, I will do a full review of the build ( took over 100 photos) in the review section when I get some more time.

Obviously this is just the start as now I have to fit out the observatory with electrics, FLO piers etc.

OH and the name,

The "ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha" Observatory ( for those of you who think I’m mad, just read the first Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy book )

cheers Jon

post-14336-133877470454_thumb.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks amazing! ;-)

Can you show some pictures please of how the professionals done the rolling mechanism? I'm planning my obs in my head and i'm not quite sure how to hold the roof down. Surely i't not just sitting on top of the rails but is held down somehow?

Looks amazing! ;-)

Can you show some pictures please of how the professionals done the rolling mechanism? I'm planning my obs in my head and i'm not quite sure how to hold the roof down. Surely i't not just sitting on top of the rails but is held down somehow?

I will send some pictures but yes, it’s the weight that holds it on the tracks (believe me its heavy!!! ask SteveL :) )and when closed it had 4 claps locks in each corner but that’s more from a security point of view.

Aye, thats a heavy roof. With four of us lifting it from the ground to the top of the walls, and at just about at maximum stretch, that was VERY heavy.... but very strong too! Nick (from AO) was walking about on the roof while finishing it off, and it didnt flex or creak or anything.

I`d also just like to say what a nice guy Nick is, and his sidekick for the day, Leroy. They made it look all so easy, and was fun chatting with them during the construction.

I do casually wonder... Does it rumble overmuch, when you open the roof? I am starting to vaguely worry about my various gear-grindings and BEEPS(!) in the dead of night! Not that my neighbours overly concern themselves with noisy "normal" activities in the wee small hours... :)

I wouldn't worry about the fish eye lens - I'd be more worried about that bloke standing on your walls and breaking the laws of gravity! Is he spiderman?

Nice set up, thanks for sharing. Something for us all to aspire to one day!

A Top Class build that Jon. You will have some great times in there.

A pro. outfit has built that for sure.

A nice size warm room too. You can fall asleep in there in private :). Kidding;).

Will your grounds accomodate 4,000 at the official opening then ?

Ron.:)

A Top Class build that Jon. You will have some great times in there.

A pro. outfit has built that for sure.

A nice size warm room too. You can fall asleep in there in private :). Kidding;).

Will your grounds accomodate 4,000 at the official opening then ?

Ron.:)

I have the cook on standby :hello2: Might try and organise the grand opening to coinside with a star party i'm been told I have to hold :hello2:

Great observatory in a great garden! I just love a huge green lawn with an obs at the bottom...

I'm afraid if that was my obs, I'd probably live in it...:)

Fabulous site. What's the view like at the end of the garden - open countryside?

Archived