Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Red lens paint - for torches?

Bizibilder

That appears to be an interesting product. Over the years I have had various torches and wind-up lanterns and I have tried to cover red - not very successfully. I have also used red nail varnish (not mine - the wife's) but only on very small lights.

I would be interested if someone tries out this product with an opinion whether it works for astronomy.

Mark

Tamiya make an acrylic brush on paint for use on model plactic cars. Its used to get the red tint onto rear brake light clusters.

I've used it on torches & although needing a good few coats, cost is cheap at under £3 as I seem to remember.

• 7 months later...

Best solution IMHO is Maglite - you can get red (and blue) lenses for them very cheaply, plus they are very good torches anyhow.

The lenses are replaceable, so you have both a normal and astro torch in one. In fact everything is replaceable on a maglite, so they are very sustainable.

Just search ebay or google shopping for the lenses - about £2 for one for a AA torch.

I just bought some red acetate sheets from ebay, I plan to cut it up and cover anything bright with it, laptop, torch, phone screen. Luckily my laptop screen is exactly A4 height.

5 x A4 sheets for £4 delivered. You can search ebay for "Coloured Acetate Red", I think you can get it in craft shops too.

Oh, and I just noticed yesterday that I already have several ready made astro-torches..... all the rear lights for the bikes.... doh!

These also have the benefit of brackets and fixings which means can set them up about the observing area.

• 6 months later...

Installed a 3V red LED (it has an integral resistor) in my Mini Maglite AA to replace the bulb the kids had managed to smash. It was a super cheap stock LED (not a special for the Maglite) so had to crop the LED legs and bend the cathode leg flat to contact the torch casing. Works great.

post-28072-133877639733_thumb.jpg

Archived