Hello Stargazers

ZOG

Hello all, I'm new to astronomy and I'm considering my first scope. I live in the North East of England with its brilliant weather and clear skies :wink: well, at least one week of the year. I can just about find Orion so I suppose thats some kind of starting point. I have a limited budget and I've narrowed the choice of scope down to 2.

The SKYWATCHER SKYHAWK-1145PM at £150 or the SKYWATCHER EXPLORER-130 at £160. The 1145pm has a motorised mount and the 130 has a bigger apperture.

The advice I need is this, is it better to go for the smaller scope with the motor or, as a beginner is it better to learn the nuts and bolts with a non motrorised version with improved light gathering. Oh and is there anything better available in the price range ?

Looking forward to your replies and thanks in advance.

Hey! Welcome to SGL!

I'm new to all this as well but can assure you the advice on this site is second to none and the answers are fast. You'll enjoy it here.

Go to the equipment discussion to ask your question on motors and scopes and the answers will pour in!

Hi Zog,

Welcome to the forum.

Go for aperture. The 130.

TBH both the mounts aren't up to much so motorising a weak mount is a bit pointless, as it will wobble like a jelly!

Start with the 130 and get the polar alignment fairly accurate and you'll only be moving the RA anyway. If you go for the 130 I guarantee you you'll upgrade that mount within a year anyway.

Have you looked at S/H on here.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

Greg

Thanks for the replies and advice folks, I suspected that most of you would say to go for the bigger apperture and thats what I intend to do. I'm sure I'll be looking for lots more advice over the coming months and, having read most of the forums in here, this is certainly the place to get it. Now, does anyone know of any clubs in the Newcastle on Tyne area ? it seems the logical place to start learning. Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies and advice folks, I suspected that most of you would say to go for the bigger apperture and thats what I intend to do. I'm sure I'll be looking for lots more advice over the coming months and, having read most of the forums in here, this is certainly the place to get it. Now, does anyone know of any clubs in the Newcastle on Tyne area ? it seems the logical place to start learning. Thanks again.

Lo ZOG

Welcome to the forum. There is a good society at the Washington Wildfowl Park <http://www.sunderlandastro.com/about.html> A bunch of very active astronomers :wink:

Welcome aboard, Zog. I too would go with the 130, and take Steve's advice on the mirror and get the f/5 scope. It will make a difference. You don't need a motor drive that badly, unless you are starting out doing photography. You can always add a motor drive later, anyway.

Thanks a lot for all the advice folks. After reading all this and having a chat with Steve I've decided to go with the Skywatcher 130PM. I'm sure to be bothering you all with questions on using it. I'll let you know how I go.

Hi Zog

Welcome. Hope you get as much out of the forum as i have over the past 24hrs!.

Can i just thank everyone who has posted with their ideas and interest since i posted for the first time yesterday. Thanks especially to Jamie and Martin B for all their help. Jamie - can i take you up on your offer of a visit to Paisley to see your set up? That was a very kind offer.

Psychobabbler

Archived