Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bits and bobs sales?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole thing does look a bit like they have had a major tidy-up in their stock room and are now selling off cheaply everything that they found between the boxes and what they swept up on the floor... ;-)

Great occasion to make a few bargains if you don't mind things not being brand new...

just ordered some goodies too, email almost within the hour saying stuff dispatched. Couldnt resist the skywatcher 76mm mini newt for £20, i can use it whilst im waiting for my skyliner 'proper' scope... question i have is whats the cheapest method of mounting the 76mm? it looks like it has a dovetail fitted, my 60mm refractor is a tripod and rubbish mount... any ideas?

Ordered three bits on Thursday:

- Hybrid diagonal (£5)

- 2" nosepiece extension (£5)

- 2" "TeleVue" diagonal (£25)

Got shipping confirmation on Friday, and they arrived today. The TeleVue was marked as having a dirty mirror. In fact, it was actually fairly clean, but quite scratched, and there's no evidence that it really is TV. So that's going back.

The 2" nosepiece extension doesn't fit on my 2" filter threads. It goes in one turn then jams. Must be a different thread, so that's gonig back.

The hybrid diagonal is of very poor build, but I didn't expect much for a fiver, so that'll stay..

I've just made another order though, for 4 more bits! Plus a 350D! ;)

Andrew

I've just made another order though, for 4 more bits! Plus a 350D! ;)

Andrew

Yeah, I saw that... even with the lack of Live View, what a bargain. A great dSLR kit at knockdown price. Even if you only want to get into digital photography, not necessarily astro, it's a fantastic buy at that price.

Incidentally, I received my "A1" 8-24mm zoom EP today, and while I didn't expect much for £20, it's a bit shabby nonetheless. The knurled rubber band on the body has obviously been rolled-up or removed, as it's loose, and there's a little splodge of oil or grease on one of the internal lens elements inside the barrel, and there's something loose in there... possibly a lens element. As much as I appreciate the bargain-basement nature of these offers - a bit more honesty regarding the actual quality wouldn't go amiss. As seen here, the whole idea of a "Car Boot Sale" is an absolute winner when we're used to slamming thousands on brand-new gear. Don't spoil it, retailers, by takin' the p***. Please. :) You have a great opportunity to offload a ton of stuff, as long as you're honest.

Well I'm going to give it a try:

- Meade counterweight rail (I've already got the counterweight to fit this)

- AE Alloy Focusser Wheels (ex-rubber ring inserts which I'll replace myself)

- High capacity blower (manually operated ie: no pressurised container)

A total of £11.50 delivered.

Lets see if this works out .....

... The TeleVue was marked as having a dirty mirror. In fact, it was actually fairly clean, but quite scratched, and there's no evidence that it really is TV. So that's going back....

Andrew,

Does the diagonal look like this:

http://wb9dlc.com/astronomy/images/orion%20diagonal.jpg

If so it's actually made by Vixen and TV did carry a version for a while. They are good quality diagonals, if the mirror is clean and free of scratches of course.

Hi John,

No, it looks like this. I've never seen anything like it! It's a nicely constructed, one piece unit (except the red bit to access the mirror), and it's mirror appears to be brighter than my Antares 99% dielectric one. I can't work that one out!!

The 350D - yes, quite a bargain. Will be ideal for star trail images, while the 450D is hooked up to the scope ;)

Andrew

Hi John,

No, it looks like this. I've never seen anything like it! It's a nicely constructed, one piece unit (except the red bit to access the mirror), and it's mirror appears to be brighter than my Antares 99% dielectric one. I can't work that one out!!....

Hmmm - it looks like a copy of a Tele Vue Everbright (I had a 2" one on the back end of my Vixen at SGL5). The TV is all one colour and the body, barrel and eypiece tube are machined from a single block of metal.

The one you have looks decent quality, if only the mirror is in good nick ....

I've noticed that even some people said they've bought some stuff these have not yet gone off their list.. Since I believe these are single items (could be several though, with wires and bolt stuff, but kinda doubt about things like the 76 newt, etx that sort of stuff) there might be some problems with more that one person "buying" that single item. Could be wrong though. Hope I'm wrong!

Marius

Well I'm going to give it a try:

- Meade counterweight rail (I've already got the counterweight to fit this)

- AE Alloy Focusser Wheels (ex-rubber ring inserts which I'll replace myself)

- High capacity blower (manually operated ie: no pressurised container)

A total of £11.50 delivered.

Lets see if this works out .....

Well my lot arrived this morning - precisely when the e.mails from S&S's said they would :D

I'm delighted with my little lot - the 2" alloy focusser wheels are on my Vixen 102 with rubber "O" rings as grips - total cost £6.20 - AE charge £30 for them ......

Have to hand it to S&S's - this looks like a winner :p

My third parcel arrived yesterday. Total value of £21 delivered.

Over the moon with all three bits. The 90mm clamshell is as new and just what i needed. While the Tal 1.25" diagonal is absolutely brilliant. Compared it to my Meade diagonal and its much better built, oversized mirror and brighter. And a flashy dustcap for the scope.

Awaiting one more parcel now which has a dovetail, filter and alloy focuser wheels.

What i really need is a CG5 steel tripod for 50p.

.... which resulted in another £18 order. This time some mounting rings or the £20 refractor I ordered on Monday...

They are really making this interesting by listing the items one by one. Each time you look there are a few new interesting things. Always something useful to find. And to have free postage you just find another 2 cheap items such as parfocalising rings. Then you come back after a few days and the cycle starts again...

Anyone from FLO reading this? Don't you have some odd bits and bobs lying around the stock room that you could sell off cheaply in an online astro boot sale? ;-))

Yep, it was called SGL5!

Archived