NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bits and bobs sales?

I see that Scope n Skies now have an Astroboot section where they sell off small bits and pieces - from A1 to A5 grade.

Any other companies have this sort of rummaging area where you could pick up something useful ?

(Please don't turn this into a love them/loathe them thread)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought 4 items from their astroboot section this morning, only cost £25 including postage. Not bad (providing they work off course) for an Ortho, two Plossls and a filter. They are not the sort of eyepieces i would thought about buying six months ago but desperate times call for desperate measures.

All my bits arrived this morning apparently, which is very good going indeed.

Did you get some interesting bits for £30? I was tempted again this morning as it looks like the stock has been topped up.

I got all this for £30 (free postage)

1 x 2" 28mm eyepiece

1 x Celestron collimating eyecap

1 x Bahtinov Mask for 8" SCT

1 x 1.25" 4mm Super Ramsden

1 x BC&F AC to 12V PSU

1 x Polariod 4 stop ND filter

That's a lot of gear for £30, the 2" 28mm is worth it alone.

That's what I thought. My first 2" EP.

And the 4mm Plossl is nice and small for some afocal imaging... for £1 ;-)

Too bad there isn't much info on the items though. There's more on that page that I would be interested in but would need more details, e.g. the motor focus drive. Now if that would fit my scope... ;-)

Most of it is just tat, maybe useful to someone trying to find a spare part or add some junk eyepieces to a scope they are selling. But there are some nicer bits in there for very good prices. A Silvertop Celestron Plossl for instance will knock spots off the bundled Skywatcher eyepieces and make a nice cheap upgrade for £7. It's like any car boot, 95% tat, no or little info, take a chance but a chance of a bargain.

Got five items "in transit" for £14:

reticle eyepiece (got to be worth £14 just for that)

red light torch (which will please the guys at the next SCAG evening)

yellow filter (everyone seems to rave about these, so might as well give one a try)

cigar-plug to 2.1mm lead (have not believed how difficult it is to find a simple ready made up one)

non-working mintron (for my get-off-my-bumper car project)

I ordered an 8-24mm zoom eyepiece for 20 quid. Unlikely to be anything special in terms of quality, but it'll be handy to have in my carry-case for daytime G&G with the Meg72.

I was looking for a yellow filter but didn't see one yesterday... Looks like you got it then .. ;-)

I was also considering the reticle EP but wasn't sure what exactly they are. Are these the ones with illuminated cross-hairs? I didn't see where the batteries would go.

I was looking for a yellow filter but didn't see one yesterday... Looks like you got it then .. ;-)

Looks like it ... We got the red, yellow & blue ones from S'n'S new @ £5.99 each (no problems). Work well enough as bulk standard devices, so if you are specifically after a yellow one, I may suggest you consider this as an option. I only bought it because it was half the price and thought it was worth a try.

I was also considering the reticle EP but wasn't sure what exactly they are. Are these the ones with illuminated cross-hairs? I didn't see where the batteries would go.

These are the cross-hair eyepieces. Some are illuminated, some not. It didn't say which this is. Have heard varying reports on how important illumination is. There is a site that tells you how to adapt a non-illuminated one if required. As prices start at £25 for non-illuminated and £50 for illuminated ones, thought I could not lose either way.

I was buying a normal eyepiece off them so added a small red light and the DK-TJ battery focusser. All arrived after a couple of days.

Plenty of useful little things like foam lined eyepiece boxes etc which would be impulse buys.

I guess as word gets around the footfall on the site will increase and people might add normal priced items to their order - a bit like a lossleader.

My little lot was brand new, boxed and sealed. Tried out the Ortho and Plossls last night, all were excellent. The 15mm Ortho was outstanding on the Moon.

I'm going to delve back in for a few more cheap bits.

hehehehe, It's addictive, isn't it? I just found and ordered a few more bits for £14.

1.25" Meade star diag. £6.00

1.25" 25A red filter £3.00

1.25" Glass reticule £5.00

I didn't see the first time that you get free postage when you buy 3 or more items. No need to keep looking until you have £25 worth of bits...

Here we go... Just wanted to check something on this AstroBoot page. I ended up placing a 3rd order. They now have a few small refractors on there that would (hopefully) be good as a guide scope. Just bought a 70mm x 300mm for £20 ...

And the first order has arrived this morning...

After reading this thread I've ordered a couple of bits - nothing expensive but things that they do and I have trouble finding elsewhere...

I look forward to them arriving.

Ant

Archived