NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bits and bobs sales?

They have put the TeleVue diagonal back on the site, which a much more accurate description of the item, stating the mirror scratches and it's origin. It still carries the same £25 price mark though.

I think they've refunded my card as well. Extremely impressed!

Andrew

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First order arrived for my schools project missing 3 eyepieces and an item just handwritten as sold, even though they charged me for it, just my luck. Been on the phone, should be able to sort it out ok.

Well that's 2 unanswered emails, 2 phone calls with promises to sort it out and call back, yep you guessed it, no phone calls. The daft thing is I even told them I want to spend more money with them! Try again tomorrow.

My order of some posh focusser knobs and dust caps turned up ok.

Now got another order in for a cradle to jury rig a mobile phone holder onto the barrel so can have Google Sky beside the finders.

I had two orders from the boot come through, no problems at all... I missed out on the DSI Pro filter tray... but it's worth popping back, as they appear to keep finding things...

My IR filter turned up all ok and in very good time.

As an aside, I also had some help from Richard at Scope 'n' Skies with some bits I needed by e-mail - above and beyond the call of duty. He pointed me to some competitors who had the bits I needed which was very good of him.

I did order a 2" - 1.25" adapter from Scope 'n' Skies main website was was received very quickly.

All in all, very pleased!

First order arrived for my schools project missing 3 eyepieces and an item just handwritten as sold, even though they charged me for it, just my luck. Been on the phone, should be able to sort it out ok.

Well that's 2 unanswered emails, 2 phone calls with promises to sort it out and call back, yep you guessed it, no phone calls. The daft thing is I even told them I want to spend more money with them! Try again tomorrow.

My last order arrived minus one item, which had 'sold but refunded' written next to it. Which is fair enough.

yeah, there seems to be a lot of uptake on this. Shipping times have increased slightly. But nothing to complain about so far. And I've placed so many orders that I lost count... ;-)

Only odd thing so far is that the green filter I ordered looks rather yellow. Have to check what Wratten #11 is but it definitely looked a lot greener on the item picture.

I received a none-of prototype "ship's Wheel" type fine-focuser with 2" SCT threads. I also got a Mak to SCT adapter so I can stick this on my 180 Maksutov! It all fits ... but I need an adapter at the back end to allow fitting of a diagonal, beit 1.25" or 2". It's a fine bit of kit and certainly unique! I'll get the threads measured tomorrow so I can look for a suitable adapter.

Arrived very quickly - only 4 days to n. Scotland (which is actually pretty good, believe it or not!)

Well I just ordered the 108mm metal filter ring for £6 which I will use with the Baader Solar Film.

That size will fit on the end of my Equinox like a glove so looking forward to receiving that.

Going back there now to see if there is anything else worth having.

I agree with the general comments here and to be fair S&S have always been pretty good with me - I have placed a few 'normal' orders for small bits too.

I ordered four 48mm filters (see http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/103564-2-1-25-adapter-extension.html) and they sent me two 48mm, a 46mm and a 49mm. I rang them and within a day of e posting the wrong ones back they refunded the difference.

I ordered another two and they came within a couple of days - fine this time.

tonight they listed a Nikon Coolpix adapter which I will used for some point and press moon shots, maybe planets and for £8! I then added another couple of bits - a 2" dust plug and (probably foolishly) a 'frankenstein zoom' which is apparently a concoction amounting to a 10-20mm zoom which is reasonable optically for £7??!!

no doubt it will be rubbish but it was only making up the numbers and I'd have paid £35 for just the adapter - the whole lot only cost £15!!

well done Scopes N Skies on this one.

Well, I've been on the phone (again) yesterday about the Mak127, and was told that it had been packed and was "currently being loaded onto the courier's van". So far nothing today apart from a few other BnB's I'd ordered, so hopefully tomorrow for the Mak.

im on my 6th order now and so far not a problem, items are pretty much as described... im quite impressed with my 76mm mini newtonian... i made a wooden adaptor for it so i could mount it on a wooden alt az tripod. Not the biggest aperture in the world but it gives nice clear views that are much brighter than the 60mm free refractor i was given! Have some nice cheap eyepieces too which once cleaned and tightened are as good as new not bad for £1, £5 and £9 respectively!

I (finally) received the Mak127, which would be great but for one thing; it was advertised as an A1-quality ex-display model, but I can't think why an ex-display MakCass's cell mounting would have been subjected to such obvious maltreatment, rendering the (as I now know to be the case normally) usually collimated setup null. The entire rear-cell was rattling loose when I took it out of the box, and when I tried to re-seat it, the now-obvious cross-threading made it's presence known.

Don't get me wrong, even if I sound like I'm moaning for the sake of it, I'm not. I have had several excellent deals from the BnB section, but this particular purchase (from the bargain section) has so far been a trail of misinformation and evasion on the seller's behalf. I don't mind having to set up the collimation myself (if I only knew how! :)), but as I've said before, had the real situation been disclosed before all the phone calls, waiting, and finally realisation that all was not as it should be, I would have neither cause nor desire to be so negative. I appreciate they must be very busy with the sudden upsurge of work created by the BnB sales, but please, just be honest! That isn't too much to ask, surely?

So, did the (not-so) subtle hint work? Who knows how to collimate one of these beasties? ;)

Shame about the misinformation. I've experienced that myself in the past.

Ant

Thanks for the link, Ant, and yep, it sours an otherwise fantastic concept.

Archived