Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone out tonight?

Dan73

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't dead sure at first but it turned out really well. I've no-one in (at least for astronomy) for a couple of days so I got stuck in to a second night on M101. I should really have got the other rig going as well but I had been out for a blow on the bike and was a bit soggy in the Gumption department so settled for one setup on the go. Knocked off around three.

Getting old...

Olly

Clear here in Sheffield. Steady as a rock too. I've just been aligning the scope and decided to have a peek at Castor. Put on a ludicrous x720 but the image held up well - clean airy disc and no turbulence. x300 was ideal.

Saturn is on for later. I'm just having a cup of coffee right now...

Managed to get about 30 mins clearish sky, to get a short look at Venus. Then as it got darker, had a look at M44 & Mars, but the clouds came rolling in. Looked promising but was let down.

Still, this was my first night out and I'm glad to have got the chance to have a glimpse out there! :) Very happy with my 10" dob.

Was hoping to see Mercury again but clouds came in. The rest of the sky was totally clear so I turned my attention on Saturn. Had a wee look at The Hyades and the Pleiades. Finally I decided to have a look at Mizar to see the double star. At this point I saw two fast moving 'stars' moving off in different directions. I presume that these were satellites orbiting the earth. As I'm new to this I would appreciate it if soemone could enlighten me. Thanks

DD

Was hoping to see Mercury again but clouds came in. The rest of the sky was totally clear so I turned my attention on Saturn. Had a wee look at The Hyades and the Pleiades. Finally I decided to have a look at Mizar to see the double star. At this point I saw two fast moving 'stars' moving off in different directions. I presume that these were satellites orbiting the earth. As I'm new to this I would appreciate it if soemone could enlighten me. Thanks

DD

I saw 2 fast moving "stars" too. Just watched them with the naked eye as they sped along.

...Judging on the amout of satellites about http://science.nasa.gov/realtime/jtrack/3d/JTrack3D.html was probably what they were. They seem to be moving in the direction of the ones i saw if i remember rightly.

I saw 2 fast moving "stars" too. Just watched them with the naked eye as they sped along.

...Judging on the amout of satellites about NASA - Science@NASA J-Track 3D was probably what they were. They seem to be moving in the direction of the ones i saw if i remember rightly.

Thanks for info. Good web site. I didn't realise that there were so many satellites.

DD

Doing the M94 halo at the mo...will need to redo my flats tomorrow (as nothing is moving, that's fine)

Looking forward to seeing that Nick. What sub length and scope are you using?

Just closed down for the night but had a few good hours of clear sky, enough to get the bulk of the colour data I needed for this years M51 :)

Did the meridian flip, recalibrated the guider and the clouds rolled in from the East.

Night all!

Rob

Archived