Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M101 from Les Granges

MartinB

Just got back from chez Olly at Les Granges. I have so much data on my laptop it's nearly too heavy to pick up. What an amazing place Olly has there. I will do a little review tomorrow but here is a rushed process of M101 taken with Olly's lovely 140 TEC.

Camera QSI 532

Lum 12x 900secs (plain ir blocking filter)

R+G 12 x 140 secs B 12 x 210 secs binned x2

This would have had more time but I was so absorbed with observing through Olly's 20" dob that I forgot I'd only set a 12 exposure sequence in Maxim! Will add some Ha when I get the chance as well a more measured process (it could certainly stand quite a bit more sharpening).

post-12794-133877434749_thumb.jpg

It sounds like you had a fantastic trip Martin. Loads of data for the cloudy nights here :)

A really sharp and beautiful image Martin there is even some detail showing in the small galaxy bottom left :mad:. Although there does seem to be a patch on M106 to it's bottom right which has a green hue to it.

Regards

Kevin

Is the TEC 140 as good as everyone says?:)

Well the stars in the blue channel were the same as those in the other 2 which seems like a good start. The scope is very light weight for a refractor of this size, comfortably managed with an eq 6. It has a high quality 4" focuser that you could hang a few bricks off (wouldn't recommend doing that though) It did seem to deliver very tight stars with low FWHM. I'm no apo junkie but it certainly does the business.

One night we had a peep at Saturn when the seeing was good. Insert your own superlatives here...

Oooh lovely colours Martin, and what a difference to those outer arms the dark skies have made. I have to admit that the pure simplicity of an APO is very tempting, and if the correction is that good, then why not :)

Archived