Greg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"The Martian Chronicles"
Enjoyed the Series :laugh:

Apollo 13

Star Wars (Except the new ones)

War of the Worlds old version(1953) (Pref Jeff Waynes Musical)

Blade Runner

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Back to the future films.

I'd have to say 'Alien' and 'Aliens.'

'The Day the Earth Stood Still' is a wonderful movie. I really enjoyed 'The Fifth Element,' too. So there!

Enjoyed most of the movies mentioned here, though, and would watch most of them again.

Least favourite: Lost in Space

Most glorious looking :- it has to be 2001: A Space Oddessy. I still cant believe that it was made in the early sixties, the effects are still the best. The films a bit slow and if you haven't read the book it's a brainache, but the looks!

Best alien movie :- The thing from another world! (1951). The template for all the alien movies to come, and better than the 80's John Carpenter remake. Dont be folled by excessive gore and colour film, the original had better characterisations and is still genuinely creepy.

Best 'brain out of gear' movie :- Revenge of the Sith. More lightsabre and spaceship action than you can shake a stick at.

Have to agree with Revenge of the Sith surprise enjoyment after the bitter disappointment with the first 2, and the Fifth element has to be up there then just very fond memories of the cringeworthy 50 and 60s space movies, it came from outer Space etc. I was very young is that a good enough excuse.

Space Balls was on a couple of days ago :laugh::wink: I have the schwarz!!!

In no particular order:

Star Wars IV V VI

Aliens

Event Horizon

War of the Worlds (either)

Mars Attacks

Close Encouters

And if we're allowed TV series

Star Trek

Lost in Space

Space 1999

Blakes 7

Aliens, all the Star Wars except I, Pitch Black (very underrated IMHO).

Daz,

Event Horizion? :nono: Looks like the special effects team were on LSD!! :laugh:

Ooo, forgot Pitch Black - do like that.

EH - Yep, I think was a requirement for being on the team!!!!!

Someone mentioned 'Blade Runner' which I saw when it came out in the early 80s. I have since seen the director's cut without the narration, and without the schmaltzy ending, and I prefer it. It is one of, if not my favorite 'noir' movies, but I never thought of it as a space movie, as all the action occurs on Earth.

Archived