Flesh Gordon (ahem)

UFO (70's series)

Space 1999

The Clangers

Any old SCI-FI as you can see.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to download Flesh Gordon then promise me you wont watch it for the first time in front of an audience consisting of your kids, Granny, a vicar and any elderly relatives with a heart condition. While it is laugh-out-loud funny in many places it is also technically a pr0n movie. Dont bother with Flesh Gordon II, that plain sucked in both genres.

Quatermass & the Pit was one of the first movies my friends and I downloaded when we got broadband. It's still a creepy film to this day. Good call on that one.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind. This was on Film-4 last night so I fired up the projector and big screen and watched it in 8'wide-o-vision. You've got to love those UFOs swinging around, and the monsterous tuba-playing mothership is class. If ever I'm near Wyoming I think I'd have to visit the Devils Tower, but Idont know if I'd have the guts to stay out at night near it with a telescope.

Can't remember if this was space related but does anyone remember Children Of The Stones, an ITV show from the late 70s. Its exactly the sort of genuinely spooky, well written,well acted, supernatural thriller that doesn't get made these days. Although to tell the truth, I've never seen it as an adult so maybe it was corny as hell. Anyway it was a great idea and could do with a re-make since that's all the current generation of movie/tv makers seem to apply their limited talents to these days.

Discuss?

Gaz,

re 2010 I loved it -it doesn't have the class of 2001 but it helps explain what was happening -theres a great aerobraking scene and of course somethings happening on Europa,orbits are decaying,Hal is talking to Dave Bowman but where is he?

Cracking film.Also I'd like to add 'The right stuff ' -well worth a gander.Serenity is also good fun,

cheers,

Mike

Dare I mention Futurama! Only a series but there ought to be a film.

I have the series 1 DVD set :oops: :p

:lol:Thats OK Steve, dare I say it I have all 4 :wink:

For my list I would have to add

Red Dwarf and the twilight zone (if that counts)

Children of the Stones rings a bell but of course I would have been very young. :laugh:

There was a series called "The Changes" ...

Found this vintage tv sci fi homage website when I was looking for stuff about Children of the Stones,

there's a section on the changes which is here:

http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Changes/Changes.htm

BE WARNED!! If your'e a child of the seventies like what I am, this site may become a bit of gooey nostalgia trip,

I can't believe how long ago these shows were first shown.

Reading though this lot I was thinking "What??? No-one gonna mention Carpenters DARK STAR?" and then Dave Gibbons came to the rescue. Anyone who's not seen it REALLY MUST.

Space travel is gonna be a dark and lonely, dirty and DANGEROUS affair - fraught with the effects of cabin (silent running) fever and who knows what else - a real test of the human spirit, will and character - Carpenter really picks up on that. A truly awsome peice of dark humour. And guess what?.. yep, I'm pretty sure he wrote the theme tune too (albeit with that stylophone with only two notes working he does all the other films with).

Also like 2010 the year we make contact - Helen Mirren - phoar! That Russian accent gets me every time.

Oh, and The Time Bandits. SF but wrapped in Python. Holes in space indeed (-:

Series? How about the Day of the Triffids series from 1981, Tomb of the Cybermen with Patrick Troughton as the Doctor and what about Buck Rogers in the 25th Century? Ahhh, Colonel Wilma Dearing... sigh. I have alot of respect for the old Buster Crab stuff but the 80's series really new how to give a schoolboy some eyecandy.

I'll throw in another vote for captain Leela Tarunga, and I will freely admit that most of the time I only sat and watched Enterprise to see which skin-tight catsuit Jolene Blalock would be running around in this week. Wilma Deering... not so sure. I think the modern version would be the sylph-like Natalie Portman in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones when she's in her skin-tight white outfit that looked very Wilma Deering.

Not sure everyone will agree with the turn this thread has taken, but truly man cannot live by bread alone.

I saw an episode of Star Trek NG for the first time in ages recently and forgotten how gorgeous Marina Sirtis (Counsellor Troi)was back then, especially with that unplaceable east european accent - even it was put on for the show -I think she's english .

I'm with Warthog on Nichelle Nichols - sexiest sci fi babe ever? A strong contender surely.

I'm pretty sure Bill Shatner did a lot more than kiss her once the Kling-ons had been removed!

I wouldn't put anything past Shatner in his hey-day. Apparently in Futurama the amazing Zapp Brannigan is not merely based on Capt Kirk, but is actually about 40% Kirk and 60% Shatner. :shock:

If we're talking male fantasy sci-fi I better throw in the WMD of turn-ons for men in their 30's and 40's...

Princess Leia in the slave girl outfit in Return of the Jedi.

Archived