Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wolves and Black Country observing group...

wulfrunian

I was hoping for a weekend at least Firday & Saturday nights, I agree its quite a way for 1 night so several nights improve your chances of some good sky.

Living in the midlands always means fighting the light pollution but when you do get to clear dark skies it does blow you away.

Claire - will contact you if / when a meet goes on, after the wettest summer for 100 years most are having withdrawal symptoms. :sad:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't even know this was on here!! I'm from oldbury and been looking to try and find some decent dark sky sites, if possible can someone pm me if there are any meet ups coming up. Thanks :-) xxx

I'm down the road from you in Netherton Claire, I know what you mean about finding some decent dark skies. I've been looking at Clun just past Craven Arms which isn't TOO far to travel, it looks like it's a very dark sky area but you have to be 100% sure of clear skies otherwise it's a wasted journey. Fingers crossed I make it over there in the next 2-3 months :)

I spend a lot of time in Wales and see so many potential dark sky spots bit rarely get chance to stay over. I'm off to snowdonia again Sunday and sleeping up a mountain so fingers crossed for dark skies. I don't know where Craven Arms is :-/ I rarely say this but I'm looking forward to winter and clearer nights :-) x

Oohhhh I thought I'd heard the name, yes I know where u mean. Spent a lot of time Ludlow way as a kid. I'll have to see if there's any camping over there, Church Stretton is nice too and pretty dark, it's a tiny place so not completely light free but small enough that it should be pretty good seeing and it's only a train journey away for me :) x

Hi To all on this thread, wonder if it would be ok to pop along to the Cosford site - been following this thread for a while and as the nights are starting to darken I wonder if someone can PM me with the location and how are the nights arranged when people are there observing and if you have room for one more - Thanks all and regards Paul.

Hi Ya Clare yes with 37 pages of this thread, there's alot of reading to do - I think if someones following the thread they will receive instant notification, so lets hope hey - be nice to get something arranged now the nights are darkening - was out at a soul night Friday and saw Jupiter for the first time in the evening sky - think its going to be a good apparition this year for the wonderful Jupiter - she resides in Taurus, so give it a few weeks and she'll be nice and high up. Paul

Hi all - Camping weekend

Ratlinghope on 12- 13 October seems like a good weekend, Friday moonrise 03:33 set 16:49. Sat rise 04:50 set 17:01 so out of the way mostly, milky way overhead and Jupiter Uranus & Neptune visible, will post a pic of the site soon.

I have got over a dozen people interested so far

Message me on here or mail to galaxyzoo90@yahoo.com

Hi all - Camping weekend

Ratlinghope on 12- 13 October seems like a good weekend, Friday moonrise 03:33 set 16:49. Sat rise 04:50 set 17:01 so out of the way mostly, milky way overhead and Jupiter Uranus & Neptune visible, will post a pic of the site soon.

I have got over a dozen people interested so far

Message me on here or mail to galaxyzoo90@yahoo.com

I'm interested :) please keep me informed.

Great night at cosford yesterday with Northernsoulman even showed the gamekeeper +1 some things. Metor at 22:56 BST was spectacular green NE to W 35+seconds duration then split into 6-7 parts.

Thanks Steve-bham

Glad you like the place. Just sorry I only saw you message today! What do you think of the place?

WOW, WOW,WOW first visit to a darkish site - AMAZING thanks to Steve - really nice views through the LX90 and that meteor first saw it near Jupiter low down, much brighter than the ISS and followed it over maybe + 160 degrees of sky nearly from horizon to horizon and the colours - bluish white to begin with yellows and even green and when the thing split !!!!!. The Milky Way clearly visible, every view through the ep just blew me away - way more stars in every observed field than at home and really surprised at the orientation of Orion when emerging above the horizon - the Hunter was on his side!!!. Many thanks again to Steve for such a fantastic night and a wonderful tour around the Messier's and a few NGC's and the LX90 performed flawlessly. Looking forward to the next visit - can't wait. Paul

Haven't been on here for a while, been a little busy but can't wait to get to the Cosford site sometime soon (still no idea where it is though LOL). The scope has been hibernating and it needs to get out now, got to make a dew shield for the Telrad though, des up way too easily :(

Hopefully see you guys soon :)

Ratlinghope 12-14th Oct

Tent will be there with Del6 I have a pic taken of tent and site but still having trouble with making new posts !!!

If someone interested contact me and I could send the pic via email for you to post for me? The more the merrier I say..

Archived