Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wolves and Black Country observing group...

wulfrunian

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the only site that doesn't now think there'll be cloud by Thursday night, so I'm still counting on it :(

We all live in hope. :(

You might want to Google "Andrew Bond Metcheck convicted" before you decide whether to continue using his site. Not a nice guy by all accounts.

Just to ask guys, i've checked the address of the place on Google Earth and am I right in saying u have to actually drive onto the actual property of the Farm?

I will only be going when a couple of us meet up but just for future reference as I don't want to be trepassing that's all :(

Got it dan cheers.

I need to ask a duumbass question i once aligned scope up but then searched by turning the whole thing so my counterweight is always at the front and facing downwards what am i doing wrong as i have seen youtube videos where the scope is on its side and all sorts i am obviously polar aligning then losing it by moving the whole damn thing, I am a newbie afterall I am hoping by meeting up with you guys that i will watch and learn from the masters

You might want to Google "Andrew Bond Metcheck convicted" before you decide whether to continue using his site. Not a nice guy by all accounts.

Ah, see what you mean. Does he actually have any links to the site still though? Not that it was ever all that accurate!

Just to ask guys, i've checked the address of the place on Google Earth and am I right in saying u have to actually drive onto the actual property of the Farm?

I will only be going when a couple of us meet up but just for future reference as I don't want to be trepassing that's all :(

Yes you do go onto the farm itself. Speak to one of us who've been before and we'll let you know where to go.

Got it dan cheers.

I need to ask a duumbass question i once aligned scope up but then searched by turning the whole thing so my counterweight is always at the front and facing downwards what am i doing wrong as i have seen youtube videos where the scope is on its side and all sorts i am obviously polar aligning then losing it by moving the whole damn thing, I am a newbie afterall I am hoping by meeting up with you guys that i will watch and learn from the masters

Can't help personally with a equatorial mount as I have a nice straighforward dob :( but hopefully someone will!

Anyways.... the forecast is improving all the time for tomorrow night, even on non-dodgy forecast sites :) Will definitely be heading over there with a friend who's coming over for it, anyone up for joining us? I realise it's not the best for people at work on Friday.

Got it dan cheers.

My main scope is currently a dob but I've owned and used Eq mounts so can give you a hand when I see you. Don't get me onto drift aligning though I'm only a visual observer and find plonking the mount on the ground in roughly the right direction sufficient to keep an object in the eyepiece whilst observing.

The 2 axes that you turn are the one that rotates around polaris and the one at 90 degrees to that. There are usually locking nuts to unlock them to make large swinging movements and slo mo controls for small ones. Be warned your scope can end up upside down so make sure the locking screw is tightened to avoid you eyepiece ending up on the floor. Have a search on here for rotating rings- they can be very useful for keeping an eyepiece facing in a sensible direction on an eq mount.

Went to Highgate Common last night in Stourton to a car park in the middle of nowehere...was amazing to finally see the sky with no lights about...That was until all the boy racers decided to use it like they do a McDonalds!! Every 5 mins there were another car pulling on, flashing his lights, beeping his horn...aagghh!

Sorry for ranting, apart from that we had some great views - My friend took his Canon 5D MKII, some amazing short exposure shots and some great views with the XT8. But did make me realise, a Wide Field EP would be worth the investment...I long for a Nirvana 28mm but may have to settle with the Aero EP 26mm as it's cheaper.

I have to ask...I have noticed of late that there is a haze when looking at the planets, especially Jupiter - I can't really see the lines and is mainly blurry...Venus looks alot better and the moon is crystal clear...guess the atmosphere is playing tricks! Grrr.

Anyhoo, here's to another sunny day & clear skies :(

Dan :(

Jupiter is long past opposition and is therefore much further away and therefore smaller.

That also means it is lower in the sky so you are looking through the atmosphere at an angle which means it is thicker and causes more degradation of the image.

And yes, although clear, there has been some haze at times but the main issues on Jupiter are it's apparent size and low height.

Ah...Thanks for clearing that up for me :( I was thinking it might be my EP's or collimation but I had it all spot on so was hoping it was the air!

Yeah, I remember seeing Jupiter when I first got my scope back in Dec - Jupiter was so clear, I wish I had of had my Baader Zoom and Barlow back then, would have been amazing! What sort of date does Jupiter come back around?

Also, I have only had chance to view Saturn once on an early morning in Jan about half 5 in the morning, I wondered when if there is a transit to allow you good seeing?

Thanks Paul :(

Hi locals,

Well I've quickly typed up a quick journal (blog) from last night and might continue to do so. Link should be in my signature but in case it isn't: astromarsian

Have a quick look if you have a couple of spare minutes (get my hits up) and leave a comment. Does anyone else have a little blog/thread in which they record observations?

Ah...Thanks for clearing that up for me :( I was thinking it might be my EP's or collimation but I had it all spot on so was hoping it was the air!

Yeah, I remember seeing Jupiter when I first got my scope back in Dec - Jupiter was so clear, I wish I had of had my Baader Zoom and Barlow back then, would have been amazing! What sort of date does Jupiter come back around?

Also, I have only had chance to view Saturn once on an early morning in Jan about half 5 in the morning, I wondered when if there is a transit to allow you good seeing?

Thanks Paul :(

Jupiter takes just under 12 of our years (I think) to orbit the Sun so, as we take 1, we should catch it up around every 13 months. That's not to say it'll be a year before we can see it again as it'll become a morning object much sooner and don't forget we are already well past the last opposition.

Jupiter takes just under 12 of our years (I think) to orbit the Sun so, as we take 1, we should catch it up around every 13 months. That's not to say it'll be a year before we can see it again as it'll become a morning object much sooner and don't forget we are already well past the last opposition.

Thanks for the info...I'm still trying to learn all this, appreciate you helping :(

Dan

Thanks for the info...I'm still trying to learn all this, appreciate you helping :(

Dan

Glad to be of assistance :(

You'll learn quickly on SGL. It also helps to be a member of your local astronomy society (Walsall for me)

Hi locals,

Well I've quickly typed up a quick journal (blog) from last night and might continue to do so. Link should be in my signature but in case it isn't: astromarsian

Have a quick look if you have a couple of spare minutes (get my hits up) and leave a comment. Does anyone else have a little blog/thread in which they record observations?

Just read your thread sounds like you did have a mare with the eq mount as so did I but I think last night I beat it I managed to manually polar align best I could then used the mount as it should be used on mine I have two slew controls one long on the dec and a short on the ra with is closest to scope once I had located the object in the finder I made small adjustments with the dec slew (turning knob) and that allowed me to track the object to see it in the eye price for as long as I wanted and I didn't have to alter the latitude hope this helps

If you're not imaging don't get hung up on polar alignment when you could be looking through the scope. Roughly set the altitude to your location, look for Polaris and plonk it down facing that way and you should be ok.

Just read your thread sounds like you did have a mare with the eq mount as so did I but I think last night I beat it I managed to manually polar align best I could then used the mount as it should be used on mine I have two slew controls one long on the dec and a short on the ra with is closest to scope once I had located the object in the finder I made small adjustments with the dec slew (turning knob) and that allowed me to track the object to see it in the eye price for as long as I wanted and I didn't have to alter the latitude hope this helps

Well my alignment was fine actually, I had trouble balancing it for some reason... random really. 3 nights out with it in a row took their tole I think. Need a rest so off to pub tonight. :( (there is no beer animation)

Archived