SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wolves and Black Country observing group...

wulfrunian

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not strictly to do with the observing site but as you're all local I thought I ought to make sure you all got the heads up on this month's external speaker at Walsall Astronomy Society (if you haven't already heard).

This Thursday we will be hosting a talk by the one only Paul Abel off of Sky at Night.

Place: Rushall Olympic Football Club

Time & Date: Thursday 4/10/2012 8pm (but might be worth getting there a touch early - we're expecting to be busy)

Entry is a couple of quid for non-members and there is a bar :grin:

Not strictly to do with the observing site but as you're all local I thought I ought to make sure you all got the heads up on this month's external speaker at Walsall Astronomy Society (if you haven't already heard).

This Thursday we will be hosting a talk by the one only Paul Abel off of Sky at Night.

Place: Rushall Olympic Football Club

Time & Date: Thursday 4/10/2012 8pm (but might be worth getting there a touch early - we're expecting to be busy)

Entry is a couple of quid for non-members and there is a bar :grin:

I'm going to try and make this, I don't really know Walsall though. I'll be getting the bus so I assume it will go to the bus station? Is it far from there? X

Hmmm not sure which bus is best to catch from Walsall. The Aldridge buses go past the Whitehouse Pub (which is where you get off) and it's probably a good 15 minute walk from there. The other end of the road is probaly a bit shorter but up hill for buses via Rushall (to Pelsall, Lichfield & Brownhills ultimately I think) They stop at the traffic lights by the Mcdonalds I'm not sure if any of the buses turn up the road and actually go past the club.

If you can get there I'm sure we won't leave you stranded - we're a friendly bunch. :smiley:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&biw=1362&bih=559&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&wrapid=tlif134927097288010&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=rushall+olympic+google+maps&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=olympic&hnear=0x4870a1831d7e2bb7:0x167765e71987a936,Rushall,+West+Midlands&cid=0,0,15877229062275292037&sa=X&ei=wT1sUKnuMbGa0QXbuoHoDA&ved=0CGAQ_BIwAA

To all on this thread

Hi

The RATLINGHOPE Star Camp is going ahead Fri12 - Sun 14 Oct 2012

Campsire £5/head/night. No electricity.

At Brow Farm Ratlinghope Shropshire. All welcome.

Please let me know if you intend to come.

Further info galaxyzoo90@yahoo.com

52 34 10 LAT

02 53 05 LONG

N.G.R. 3402,2969

Tents Vans & Caravans all welcome.

I'm starting to be anoying now, posting three in a row but.. does anyone know of anyone locally selling an HEQ5?

I've found a few but they are all far afield and I'm a bit weary about sending £500 or more to someone without a guarantee I'll actually get anything in return.

Anyone had experience of buying used mounts long dystance?

I'm starting to be anoying now, posting three in a row but.. does anyone know of anyone locally selling an HEQ5?

I've found a few but they are all far afield and I'm a bit weary about sending £500 or more to someone without a guarantee I'll actually get anything in return.

Anyone had experience of buying used mounts long dystance?

Sorry I don't know of any - they're well regarded mounts for the price point so people tend to keep hold of them (the next step up, the EQ6 is a very weighty affair so the HEQ5 is the end of the upgrade path for many).

I always prefer to collect, more important for anything with glass in I suppose but the weight tends to make them pricey to post and I like to see it first hand before parting with money.

I recently bought mine from a bloke down in London,a friend of mine drove me all the way down there and was well worth the trip,but i would have been happy for him to post it but he was adamant that he wouldn't.

There is one for sale in the classifieds now i believe.

I bought my scope from an SGL member up in Scotland and had absolutely no trouble (other than with parcelforce - who got a strongly worded letter but never responded!)

It is a lot of money in good faith though.

Its also worth checking the bay every now and then (or AB&S but then you're taking the same risk).

As an alternative the cg5-gt is a good mount as I am discovering. Like yourself I was saving up for an NEQ6/HEQ5/CGEM but when a great offer on the CG5 came up from FLO I jumped at it and havent regretted the decision so far. At £525 brand new and the security of buying from a reputable vendor well worth considering I would say.

Good weekend had at Ratlinghope with Delsix, Friday about 3 hr clear sky and Saturday clear dusk till dawn but cold feet and ice on the gear stopped us about 1pm, ground a little wet but after this summer I am not suprised, light poll not quite as good as hoped for but still a lot less than Wolves, might suggest next one at a site with power just for comfort.

Hi Everyone,

Just a quickie to say that Barr Beacon MeteorWatch is on again this Saturday, from 9pm - 11pm (Gates open at 8.30pm) - Weather dependent, obviously. The event is officially finishing at 11pm, but there is a one-way exit, so anyone is welcome to stay afterwards - you won't get locked in. :-)

If you're unsure about the weather, etc, I will post on here Saturday morning if the event is going to be cancelled.

Further dates are Nov 17th and Dec 14th, also 9pm-11pm.

Trying out my new baby telescope! Can't wait!

BTW, does anyone know if the ISS times here: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=United_Kingdom&region=England&city=Birmingham

are in GMT or BST? If they are listed in GMT, then we've got an ISS flyover during the event.

As usual, the order of the day is dress warm, bring flasks, telescopes if you have them, and the event is free, families/children welcome.

Thanks!!

Morgan x

Hi Everyone,

Just a quickie to say that Barr Beacon MeteorWatch is on again this Saturday, from 9pm - 11pm (Gates open at 8.30pm) - Weather dependent, obviously. The event is officially finishing at 11pm, but there is a one-way exit, so anyone is welcome to stay afterwards - you won't get locked in. :-)

If you're unsure about the weather, etc, I will post on here Saturday morning if the event is going to be cancelled.

BTW, does anyone know if the ISS times here: http://spaceflight.n...city=Birmingham

are in GMT or BST? If they are listed in GMT, then we've got an ISS flyover during the event.

As usual, the order of the day is dress warm, bring flasks, telescopes if you have them, and the event is free, families/children welcome.

Thanks!!

Morgan x

I live in Dudley so might come over if the weather is good.

Hi Everyone,

BTW, does anyone know if the ISS times here: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=United_Kingdom&region=England&city=Birmingham

Thanks!!

Morgan x

Hi! This sounds awesome, could you pm me the location details or a link to a website or any travel info. Sorry if there's one posted already I just quickly skimmed over the posts x

Archived