Narrowband

Wolves and Black Country observing group...

wulfrunian

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Claire & Bish,

From Dudley way, get the M5 to the M6 and come off at Junction 7... then take the A34 towards Brum, turning left at the first big set of traffic lights (this is Scott Arms / Queslett Road). Keep going until you reach a roundabout with Asda on your right hand side. Turn left at this roundabout (first exit) - this takes you straight to barr beacon at the top of the hill - the car park entrance is on the corner of Beacon Road and Bridle Lane.

You can download google earth locations on the Walsall Countryside pages...

http://cms.walsall.gov.uk/index/leisure_sports_community/countryside/barr_beacon_local_nature_reserve.htm

Hope this helps!! Lets just keep our fingers crossed for the weather. I will be there from 8.30 - and there's an ISS pass around 8.40, but most people gather for around 9pm.

Morgan :-)

Weather's not looking brilliant tonight for Barr Beacon MeteorWatch, but the show must go on - I will be on site from 8.30. Met office cloud cover forecast is looking poor until 10pm, when we should get a good break in the cloud. Hoping to see the ISS flyover too!

Morgan :-)

Can't find a way to edit my post above, I am cancelling the event - the weather reports have worsened since this morning and is now predicting heavy cloud/rain.

Sorry!

That's a shame if it's off. I've been to a couple of Walsall Astro/ WMBC events up on Barr Beacon including the Lyrids one earlier this year. On both occasions it was cloudy but amazingly as the night went on it defied the weather gods and cleared. After everybody left the Lyrids one, I was chatting with a couple of other guys and as we called it a night and headed back to the cars we all saw the same beauty streak across in the direction we were walking off.

Met Office forecast doesn't look so bad. Just a bit of cloud.

I knew this would happen! I've got a big work day on saturday, early start, 12 hours+ - which means a relaxing and early night is needed on Friday. Work always seems to get in the way, but then it does pay the bills too! Hopefully I can make it next time.

Hi Anwenial, SteveWolves, wonder if it would be ok for me to pop along again, had a great night last time with SteveWolves the sky was amazing and the Milky Way was visible and that Fireball was amazing.

I have to collect my daughter from the train Station near by at 10.00, so if the weathers playing ball and the frost aint gonna be too bad I'll be on my motorbike - looking forward to it - Thanks Paul

Sorry you can't make it Bish -but now the nights are getting darker there will be more of a chance mate. :icon_salut:

Just a point does anyone want me to bring any eps or filters that I have with me to try out or experiment with - only can't quite fit the CPC 1100 on the bike!!!!.

Can do later if it clears up a bit, was meant to be crystal clear seems the complete opposite atm. Looks like tomorrow has become the better option presume the cloud not moving quick enough!

Make a decision either way about 8-9pm?

Hi To All, yeah, checked the weather and should be clear after about 10, got to pick my daughter up from Sandwell and Dudley station at 10 so can be at the site from about 10.45 ish I think - complete cloud cover in Rowley at the moment, but as always when it gets dark the cloud should move, the weather all day has been saying clear skies for the midlands, also the weather app on my phone says clear skies till around 6.00 am - so lets keep our fingers crossed ???? Paul.

I would be most grateful if one of you good people could PM me some precise directions to the site and in particular where to park. I know roughly where it is but I haven't been yet. It would be pretty poor if I drove into the wrong field and got stuck, it would be even worse if I drove through the site on main beam and blinded everyone.

Can do later if it clears up a bit, was meant to be crystal clear seems the complete opposite atm. Looks like tomorrow has become the better option presume the cloud not moving quick enough!

Make a decision either way about 8-9pm?

Sounds like a good plan. If its better tomorrow I might go then instead.

Archived