Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

wulfrunian

Wolves and Black Country observing group...

Just wanted to say thanks for last night web though the cloud was a massive let down I saw phase of venus m41 beehive a few satellites m45 Pleiades and most of all a fantastic view of Saturn

Great guys very informative viewing in wulfrunians dob has wavered me over to saving up for one what an awesome peice of kit

Steve, Dave and Michael cheers and hope to meet up again some time when this country has some clear skies !

What time u heading over?

Steve sorry mate didn't see post till now was pretty cloudy but still some good sights we will have to arrange a meet soon under the clear skies

Well, finally made it over to the farm for the first time in absolutely ages, and yes as Chris says, big let down with the cloud, but still enjoyed the massive skies there and seeing bright objects including those that would have been well behind the houses at home!

Started off with some good views of Jupiter, which was surprisingly clear given its altitude, could see good banding and all four moons on show, before it was lost in the murk later. Almost "half moon" Venus, Mars and the wonder of Saturn completed the haul of four planets.

Only bright clusters were worth doing, and we took in M45 and M44. Thanks to Steve! - he picked out M44 in seconds somehow from a large patch of apparently featureless haze between Gemini and a cloudy Leo!

Hunted down plenty of double stars too, especially enjoyed gamma Leo. Fair few satellites spotted during the evening.

Gave up around midnight in the end, and when I got home we just had white cloud cover.

Cheers to everyone for a good night, yes hopefully properly clear skies soon :(

viewing in wulfrunians dob has wavered me over to saving up for one what an awesome peice of kit

Another possible dob convert :( can't beat them!!

Your damn right mate they are great possibly looking at the skywatcher skyliner 200p don't think I can justify 4-500 on the next one up lol

Plus SW have now discontinued the 250px for some reason, so when dealers have run out of stock, the only 10" SW option is the flextube. You'd be more than happy with an 8", the views aren't vastly different to be honest especially under light polluted skies :(

Nice one been looking a the varying of prices for the sw 200p obviously looking for best price how much should I pay for one ??

I hear that people are always upgrading hence selling their old ones where is the best to look for one instead of brand new ??

Sounds a great night when viewing permitted! Look forward to catching you all at the next one! :(

I hear that people are always upgrading hence selling their old ones where is the best to look for one instead of brand new ??

There used to be a great buy and sell section on here, but it closed last year, however it's supposed to be re-introduced when the board goes to new software soon.

In the meantime, try UK Astro Buy Sell. Otherwise, it's ebay, but scopes seem to be going for silly prices on there at the moment. Having said that, you may pay over the odds for a second hand 200p dob anyway currently as there seems to be a supply problem on new scopes.

Right ok mate I guess I will save the pennies and keep looking and in the mean time take advantage of yours if we meet again lol

Looking at your eye pieces too have seen the price of them which would have a significant improvement in your viewing

True, but you'll find the 200p is more forgiving when it comes to eyepieces than the 250px, as it's an f6 scope rather than f4.7. I did splash out when I bought those eyepieces a couple of years ago, and I love them, but while they're great, they're not 10 times as great as those costing 10 times less. You'll still get very good views without spending a fortune.

Nice one mate cheers for the advice just want to be able to see Saturn like that again I was mesmerised

Wulfrunian what eye piece size did you use to see Saturn ? And what would you recommend for 8" dob as I can no way afford your range ha ha

That was a 10mm, which gives a x120 magnification. I find that gives a nice general view of most objects. I do also have a 6mm William Optics SPL eyepiece, which I bought recently and wanted to try out, which gives x200 (about the highest useful magnification on most nights in this country) but - long story - I don't seem to have a 1.25" adapter for my focuser, so I couldn't!

The 8" skyliner has the same focal length as the 10", so will give the same magnification for a given eyepiece.

Choosing eyepieces is a minefield! First I could recommend reading this primer to give some background to the subject:

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/63184-primer-understanding-choosing-eyepieces.html

Then I would try out the eyepieces first that came with the scope and see how you get on with them. A lot of people do then choose to upgrade in one way or another. And then there's an eyepiece for almost any budget! That WO one I've just bought was £69. Some people like the TMB planetary eyepieces which I think are a bit cheaper. Or you can go for something like the Skywatcher Nirvana, which are very very good for the price of around £130. The more meet ups you can have with folk, the more chance you'll get to look through different eyepieces.

When you get to that stage, ask around on the eyepiece section of this forum, as you'll find folk who've used every conceivable eyepiece and have all sorts of opinions on them!

Another point to note is that eyepieces often come up second hand, and are usually in very good condition.

Wow ( and he breathes ) well I have sold my powerseeker 114 on eBay for £110 over the moon as I paid £80 for it so I am well on the way for saving for skyliner 200p

Thanks for the great advice mate and hopefully will catch up with you again soon to maybe check out your eye pieces out as I am now scope less ! With only bins

I have just bought another powerseeker 675 telescope brand new in opened on eBay for £50.00 you know what's gonna happen now don't u (ha ha ) what a great money making exercise !

so I am well on the way for saving for skyliner 200p
I have just bought another powerseeker 675 telescope brand new in opened on eBay for £50.00 you know what's gonna happen now don't u (ha ha ) what a great money making exercise !

So far for saving up for the skyliner ;)