Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The term 'stargazers' / 'stargazing'. Is it just me...

PortableAstronomer

Hi everyone,

I don't know if it's just me being a grumpy old man, but I get really annoyed by the word 'stargazer' in the public media. No disrespect to this site of course.

In all my years of (rather modest) imaging and observing, I don't remember the last time I pointed some binos or a scope at 'a star' for gazing at it. Only thing like it was maybe a glimpse at resolving the components of Epsilon Lyrae.

The thing that gets me, is that it constantly reminds me about the public perception that we're gazing up and look at white dots in the sky. How boring that must be; the public must think we are barmy to find a load of dots so interesting. What an off-putting term that must be. So it was great to see Peter Shah's contribution of some fantastic colourful DSOs which helped to clean up this misperception.

Sorry to sound a grumpy old so-and-so ; I'm really quite a chilled guy otherwise, honest !

Is it just me ?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me the expression has always conjured up the idea of people who take an interest in the skies above, nothing more. There is even a variety of coldwater fish called "Stargazers" because their eyes seem to point heavenwards.

Peter's images were brilliant in the press, but the articles gave the impression that they could only be achieved by spending megabucks and even then you had to be stuck in a hut for months. If anything the article served to distance Joe Public from stargazing themselves, especially from imaging, as it seemed to be the preserve of the elite, which is a great shame, i'm sure that if more photographers knew how easy it is to use a tracking mount or tripod then we would see a swell of interest in astrophotography.

The other side of 'stargazing' for me is exactly that, on my back, preferably in hot bubbling water, just gazing up at the sky, waiting for meteors, or just watching the constellations advance.

We do have to bite our tongues though sometimes. My parents live at a very dark site, and when I go there I usually take some kit. My mum wandered out to see what I had 'found', and I was enthusing about the glorious Milky way bright overhead. Mum's comment? "THAT? huh, thats there every night, I thought you were looking at something interesting!"

:):rolleyes::D

The term "Stargazer" really annoys me.It makes the hobby/profession of astronomy sound as if we all just either stare up at a cloudless sky for a few minutes with or without any optical aides.

Astronomy IS a science. It is the ONLY science in which professionals and ametuers alike can contibute to the progression of it.

You dont need me to tell you how valuable amatuer astronomers are to the professionals.

Amatuers kinda do the professionals "dirty work" for them but add so much to the professionals work that many of them should be classed as professional.

Take Pete "Starman" Lawrence and NickH for example..............

Both experts in their own right.

Should they to be considered as simple "stargazers".

HELL NO.

Even though i use a couple of scopes,bins and a DSLR camera from my back garden i do not even consider myself as an amatuer astronomer. I am a person who enjoys the hobby of astronomy. To me "Amatuer astronomers" are the people who know and can find their way around the night sky without using a book or star chart for reference.

To be fair, the general public's perception of Astronomy could be better. A lot better. And personally, I am more comfortable with the term "Amateur Astronomer" over "Stargazer".

On the other hand, I think (probably influenced by the fact I am currently in high school) that many shy beginners would rather be accepted as "a bit of a stargazer" at first, maybe cause it seems to have less (dare I say it) negative social connotations that "Amateur Astronomer". If you don't understand that, good for you!

Just my penny's worth.

It used to offend, much like "trainspotter" and "anorac", even the use of the term "hobby" would have me reaching for my handbag. These days such terms just highlight the other persons ignorance of a subject.

Just out of curiosity, what's the matter with "hobby"?

Oh yeah, and I draw the line at "Astrologer", and tend to protest rather violently to that! :)

And personally, I am more comfortable with the term "Amateur Astronomer" over "Stargazer".
Not so sure about that to be honest. "Amateur Astronomer" conjures up images of bushy bearded men in cords, wacky eyebrows and jesus creepers.

Unfortunately we fall under the same umbrella as trainspotters, stamp collectors, maypole dancers, birdwatchers or any other [in the public eye] wacky hobby. None of those will ever be classed mainstream. We are eccentric to the public.

It does seem to be the case, in this day and age, that if you're interested in something other than 'shopping' or 'celebrity' whatever, you are classed as in some way eccentric.

To me, to spend ones whole day gazing vacantly at the antics of nondescript nobodies on a box in the corner of the room, or spending hard earned cash on overpriced 'designer' rubbish, is far far more eccentric....by all means, if you want to do that, go ahead, but don't call me nuts :)

Cheers

Rob

Not so sure about that to be honest. "Amateur Astronomer" conjures up images of bushy bearded men in cords, wacky eyebrows and jesus creepers.

Unfortunately we fall under the same umbrella as trainspotters, stamp collectors, maypole dancers, birdwatchers or any other [in the public eye] wacky hobby. None of those will ever be classed mainstream. We are eccentric to the public.

Think you hit the nail on the head.

Who really gives a Rubbish about what we do and that is all that matters.

Each to their own and best of luck to them.

LOL @ Rob, EXACTLY!! We should write to the BBC and complain that Amateur Astronomers are under-represented in social programs like Eastenders and then form an action group to lobby the european parliament for increased rights and awareness. Or maybe sign up a cartoonist from somewhere in europe to draw a topical cartoon....... Or get Jordan, Peter Andre or that chubby one that was kicked off the Iceland adverts to write about us in their weekly trash columns. Can you imagine how nuts they would go for astropics taken by George Clooney or whoever is flavour of the month?

Whenever I show people the pictures from my garden, they invariably go

"You took that???? GEEK!"

And most of the neighbours assume I have a telescope to spy on them, i'm sure of that.

What would be the best term for us then? Let's have it? :)

"Stargazer" is a bit of an understatement of "Amateur Astronomer" but to be honest I kind of like understatements.

Maybe thats a bit of my way in life, I like keeping a low profile, I drive a 10 yo car, don't have much fancy cloths, got a nice (but not fancy) house in the middle of nowhere, but still under 20min from work. Nowadays privacy is probably the biggest luxury and people seam to just want to stand out. I do like to stand out as a professional but on my personal life, including hobbies, I rather go unnoticed by everyone except my close friends and family.

.... as long as they don't confuse me with astrology ....

"What's your hobby?"

"I'm an astronomer"

"Oh, what's your star sign?"

(Throws up & leaves)

True. I did feel my blood pressure rise a bit when I read your post, which I totally concur with.

"Stargazer" is a bit of an understatement of "Amateur Astronomer" but to be honest I kind of like understatements.

Maybe thats a bit of my way in life, I like keeping a low profile, I drive a 10 yo car, don't have much fancy cloths, got a nice (but not fancy) house in the middle of nowhere, but still under 20min from work. Nowadays privacy is probably the biggest luxury and people seam to just want to stand out. I do like to stand out as a professional but on my personal life, including hobbies, I rather go unnoticed by everyone except my close friends and family.

Me too Paulo :D

I'm quite happy to be thought of as a bit eccentric - I probably am :)

Are we taking ourselves a wee bit too seriously here ? :)

I am also a keen metal detectorist, so I score double points on the " Geekometer " , and on the main metal detecting forum I frequent fellow detectorists are always bemoaning the fact that the media refers to us as " Treasure Hunters ", etc.

The fact is that any popular media ( TV or newspapers, whatever ) like a simple lable for anything, so if that happens to be " Stargazers " , "Treasure Hunters " , or " Trainspotters " to describe a hobby then that is what they will go with everytime.

And lets face it, unless you make a living from your interest in Astronomy, then thats what it is, a hobby.

Good Morning all

I’m happy to be a stargazer.

An astronomer, I thought, be they amateur or professional is someone who measures, records and reports, I do none of those, I simply admire what’s up and out there.

Best Regards and Clear Skies

Carl

Well - we also gaze at planets, nebula's, s/n remnants, shooting stars, asterisms, constellations, sun flares, aurora's, etc, etc,.... and you could add "gazer" to any of those. So we're poorly described as mere "stargazers".

Like most amateur or semi pro hobby type activities, it just goes to show that joe public doesn't really have a clue unless they get invovled.

Unless it involves snowboards, skateboards, free running, bunjee jumping, sky diving, surfing, or some other perilous or mass hysteria activity, it allways seems to stay low key.

It's also hard to snapshot or televise us in the early hours without the use of night vision equipment, so our public profile is naturally gonna stay low.

I'm happy with that - certainly don't want star parties or club meets invaded by a bunch of drunken low life, limited IQ rabble with raster blasters, flashlights, and crates of beer, making a disturbance, pinching, and knocking over thousands of quids worth of kit.

I say lets stay accademic and elitist and only welcome people with a modicom of intelligence or an obvious interest in the activity.

Thank goodness the great unwashed prefer to spend their weekly wage packet on nightclubs, beer and birds, and fighting cops, in light polluted streets.

trainspotters,... birdwatchers

Yep, that's a pretty fair description of me! Beards, cords and Jesus sandals - Cool!

I object now to being termed a Geek though - not acceptable since fashionistas took on 'Geek Chic!'

I', not a geek, I'm a Nerd! (and proud of it!)

Wow some interesting responses here.

"...complain that Amateur Astronomers are under-represented in social programs like Eastenders and then form an action group to lobby the european parliament for increased rights and awareness."

- Nice in theory, but what's the difference between that and, say a group of trainspotters forming a similar action group to lobby for increased rights and awareness? (we know the answer but try explaining that to the editor of The Sun)

"being called Astrologer" and "what's your star sign"

- yes makes me cringe every time. My usual response is to say that actually I never look at stars, and laughingly say something like "looking at dots in the sky that would be awfully dull wouldn't it, ho ho ho ..." before showing some deep sky images that I took in the past few months, and a long exposure of the milky way from a dark site, then say "actually you can see these with just your own eyes if the sky wasn't destroyed by this careless orange glow".

"Ach, I really and honestly don't care what people think."

I wish I could be like that!

Just out of curiosity, what's the matter with "hobby"?

Think stamp or ticket collecting, cross stitch etc. The likes who have 749 Hornby locomotives or Star Wars action figures still in their original, unopened packaging, things of beauty perhaps, but ultimately totally pointless unless they are used. That's what the word "hobby" means to me. And to hear it used to describe my interest in telescopes and astronomy, never mind my love of motorcycling just causes my urine to simmer.

Archived