NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The term 'stargazers' / 'stargazing'. Is it just me...

PortableAstronomer

I got so "annoyed" by it, I actually learned how to construct an Astrological Chart - But then I found learning to read TAROT cards quite "therapeutic", when poor health forced me to quit from being a sometime professional scientist. It may surprise some to learn than no REAL harm came to me during any of the above... <twitch> <twitch> :D

Also it winds up the sort of "religiously atheistic" scientists, who I never found to be overly fun in real life? Sometimes I do wonder, in quasi-religious parlance: Which is harder... for the "white male underclass" to gain acceptance at a Star Party or see-in a Hippy Solstice at Stonehenge? In fairness, I have no DIRECT experience of either. But I sense we ALL like folk to be "just like us", if truth be told... And there is an aspect of that, which worries me. ;)

Some quite thought-provoking stuff on BBC4 recently:

BBC iPlayer - BBC Four - All programmes - Page 1

I'd hope we'd ALL agree that the NASA "Moon Stuff" was fascinating. :)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not so sure about that to be honest. "Amateur Astronomer" conjures up images of bushy bearded men in cords, wacky eyebrows and jesus creepers.

Unfortunately we fall under the same umbrella as trainspotters, stamp collectors, maypole dancers, birdwatchers or any other [in the public eye] wacky hobby. None of those will ever be classed mainstream. We are eccentric to the public.

Yeah... and I love it!

:)

Fight the power...

An activity that one enjoys doing in one's spare time;

A hobby is a spare-time recreational pursuit.

Two definitions of Hobby that I've found... Seems to cover what I do pretty much. :)

Personally the only thing that winds me up is being called an astrologer.

Think stamp or ticket collecting, cross stitch etc. The likes who have 749 Hornby locomotives or Star Wars action figures still in their original, unopened packaging, things of beauty perhaps, but ultimately totally pointless unless they are used. That's what the word "hobby" means to me. And to hear it used to describe my interest in telescopes and astronomy, never mind my love of motorcycling just causes my urine to simmer.

I dont collect stamps, but Im sure that lots of people do.

Theres no point complaining that people dont take your " pastime" , ( because unless you are a professional and make your living from astronomy, then ultimately thats all it is ) seriously, while at the same time ridiculing other peoples passion about their particular hobby.

It seems to me rather condescending to suggest that Telescopes and motorcycles are somehow more important in the grand scale of things than someones train set or action figures.

Each to their own, I still think we take ourselves too seriously :):D

Think stamp or ticket collecting, cross stitch etc. The likes who have 749 Hornby locomotives or Star Wars action figures still in their original, unopened packaging, things of beauty perhaps, but ultimately totally pointless unless they are used. That's what the word "hobby" means to me. And to hear it used to describe my interest in telescopes and astronomy, never mind my love of motorcycling just causes my urine to simmer.

Most dictionaries define hobby as "an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation."

Is it only the hobbies you yourself pursue that are not "totally pointless"?

Most dictionaries define hobby as "an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation."

Well, that's what makes you an amateur. If you get paid for doing the activity you're a professional.

It's interesting that we refer to "amateur astronomers" but not "amateur motorcyclists". There are people who get paid for riding m/cs ....

In the world of "amateur astronomers" there is a vast range of experience & knowledge, ranging from absolute beginners to people who are doing professional style work with professional style equipment, just not getting paid for doing it. Look for instance at Tom Boles, who is running three fully robotic instruments from his back yard and discovers more supernovae than anyone else on the planet, despite being based on a very cloudy & badly light polluted island just off the North West European coast. Professional in all but name.

As for collecting Star Wars action figures, even that's got to be better than lying on the couch tanked up on cheap booze watching East Enders on the idiot box!

When people ask my hobby I actually say Stargazer because thats what they understand.

I used to say Astronomy and EVERY time they used to mention horrorscopes and when I corrected them they got offended. So I stopped saying it.

Sometimes it is easier to pander to the masses.

Ach, I really and honestly don't care what people think. For as long as the sun is in the sky, people will always label, stereotype and pigeonhole. Whilst they are doing that, I'll be outside with my telescope.

I hope you've got a solar filter then :)

I'll get me coat...

Also IIRC in "The Archers" a couple of years back one of the characters got a street light removed. Just goes to show how out of touch the programme is from real life. Most of the farmers round here have multiple 500W "security" lighting installed in such a manner as to illuminate very little except for the sky!

Regarding the 'security' lights you can go onto these sites and mark the latest customer review as 'useful'...

500W Security Floodlight with PIR - Security Lighting - Exterior Lighting -Gardens - Wickes

AnnoyedNeighbour's Contributions

and also pick other offending products and write your own true annoyances.

I dont have a problem with the term stargazer, although I agree thats not what we all look at all of the time.

I dont class myself as an amature astronomer either, I dont have the knowledge etc to be classed as that. I do dabble in visual observing and more recently, and more regularly, astro imaging, but is purely for my pleasure ans as such I see it as a hobby.

So, if the media want ot give us 'titles' then so be it! Stargazer, amature astronomer, whatever, let them get on with it.

As for my definition of 'hobby' then in my opinion it doesn't matter what the past time is, if you are doing it for your own enjoyment and getting no reward then surely its a 'hobby'.

My wife refers to me as a stargazer. She is a bit annoyed that she married a hairy arsed biker and, in her words, ended up with a 'nerd'. I still love my bike, and in the summer months it is my hobby, as is astro stuff in the winter.

Gary

I love the term 'stargazing'.

I think it suggests open-minded contemplation as well as just looking or recording.

After all, if you gaze at something, you are really absorbed by it.

You're trying to get your head round it.

Or, you just think it's beautiful.

Also - I don't care about the astronomy/astrology mix up.

If you know who you are and what you do, why worry?

You can always say - "I do the science stuff, not the Mystic Meg thing."

After all, astrology's harmless.

It's not like someone's accusing you of a socially aberrant practice! :D:)

Only if nobody believes in it. Some people do, including at least some past presidents of the United States of America.

...like Ronald Reagan?

I seem to remember him easing his attitude towards the USSR and facilitating the end of the Cold War?

It's a shame George W. Bush didn't look up his stars in the newspaper.:)

(Sorry - just playing Devil's Advocate here!)

...like Ronald Reagan?

I seem to remember him easing his attitude towards the USSR and facilitating the end of the Cold War?

It's a shame George W. Bush didn't look up his stars in the newspaper.:)

(Sorry - just playing Devil's Advocate here!)

I think there was a wee bit more to the ending of the Cold War than Ronnie RayGun " easing his attitude towards the USSR " and checking out what Russel grant had to say about his horoscope .:D

And besides, he was probably a secret Stamp Collector ;)

I think there was a wee bit more to the ending of the so called Cold War than Ronny RayGun " easing his attitude towards the USSR " and checking out what Russel grant had to say about his horoscope .:D

And besides, he was probably a secret Stamp Collector ;)

...and train spotter! :)

Personally, being called an astronomer brings a scientific bent to the proceedings which I'm interested in, but it's not the sole reason why I like it. Being called a stargazer makes it sound more like a hobby. In the same way that my other hobby is fish keeping and I'd rather be called a fish keeper instead of an Icthyologist.

End of the day though, I'm not fussed either way :).

Tony..

I think the problem of "politicians" is beyond responsibility of things like astrology. ;)

I think without it's "eccentric parentage" - in Astrology, Alchemy, Esoteric magic etc., it is established there would be no modern science. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when (see link above) Richard Dawkins began reading(!) that weird diatribe against "crystal healing" in what was (alleged to be) a "celebration of science" last night. LOL. Yet, sadly to me, a lot of the program came across as mere academic sneering at people of faith, belief etc., by under-employed, eletists. Sadly I saw little beauty in the science, as presented, and certainly none in the "scientists". :D

Far better viewing and the reason I still love science (sometimes):

BBC iPlayer - Chemistry: A Volatile History: Discovering the Elements

But then I always felt that Chemists had (even were!) more fun. :)

I always felt that Chemists had (even were!) more fun. :)

Maybe, but these days chemistry is entirely explained as a subset of quantum physics - and the physicists have learned several ways of making bigger bangs than the chemists ever dreamed of ...

Archived