Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The term 'stargazers' / 'stargazing'. Is it just me...

PortableAstronomer

I regard myself as a stargazer who likes tinkering with gear and taking pretty pictures.

I certainly wouldn't call myself an astronomer, but frankly I don't care what other people call me....to quote from a Bond film (in the days when they were witty)....'names is for tombstones baby!'

Rob

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well my neighbour always says "you off perving then?"........cheeky

I've always thought that refractor owners were more susceptible to this charge than reflector owners. Something about eyepiece position, perhaps?

Nowt wrong with the word "amateur", it just means you love doing it. Some if not most professionals are amateurs at heart. Yeah, there are a few refugees from applied maths & particle physics ...

Erm, depends, some might see the word amateur as someone not as skilled or versed as a pro (paid person) especially in this PC society in which we all now live

BTW the professionals certainly appreciate the input of the more serious amateurs ... there is usually an active project on the AAVSO site where "amateur" visual or CCD photometry is requested in support of observations being carried out by large instruments controlled by major observatories.

Yes its getting that way these days where "amateurs" as asked to confirm observations, for example often on Skylive we have people doing photometry work which is used to very results from professional projects.

I miss the good old 80s where the case used to be, "who cares, as long as the work gets done"

I also have a problem with "stargazer" and avoid it when "introducing" myself.

For me, "gaze" implies a very passive activity, as if we all have our heads above the clouds and just goggle, oblivious to everything else. It sounds as mindless as the oft-mentioned activity of watching reality TV.

Oddly, I only feel this way when said specifically or personally: "he's a stargazer", or "are you going out stargazing?". As a generic, as in "Stargazers' Lounge", I find it quite acceptable and quite endearing, however. ;)

Andrew

I also have a problem with "stargazer" and avoid it when "introducing" myself.

For me, "gaze" implies a very passive activity, as if we all have our heads above the clouds and just goggle, oblivious to everything else. It sounds as mindless as the oft-mentioned activity of watching reality TV.

Oddly, I only feel this way when said specifically or personally: "he's a stargazer", or "are you going out stargazing?". As a generic, as in "Stargazers' Lounge", I find it quite acceptable and quite charming, however. ;)

Andrew

Regarding the term "amateur", I don't see why it should imply any degree of "professionalism" or expertise. To me that contradicts the meaning somewhat. I see "amateur" in line with "hobby": all it says is that we love what we do.

Andrew

Regarding the term "amateur", I don't see why it should imply any degree of "professionalism" or expertise. To me that contradicts the meaning somewhat. I see "amateur" in line with "hobby": all it says is that we love what we do.

Andrew

QFT

I am happy to be a lifelong ameteur, meaning my love for any interest I partake in or talent I have is not motivated by £££, but for the sheer joy of it. ;)

Agree with Andrew above, professional doesn't necessarily mean better. Professional means it is your profession, as in, what you do for a living. There are plenty of "amateur" astronomers who are contributing to cutting edge research.

I use the term stargazer to describe myself (not that i like it) but it saves energy.

If i introduce myself as an amateur astronomer people ask me to tell their futures.

With stargazing, they kind of know what i am without mistake then and the conversation goes into life in the universe :-)

Archived