NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASTROFEST 2010

AndrewT

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only visit to Astrofest was in 2008. As I live in the extreme North West of England, it was a long journey. I had a two night stay in a hotel too, so it was an expensive visit. Was it worth it, I have to say yes. I thoroughly enjoyed it. So much to see, and although I only attended one lecture It was great too. The icing was meeting up with other SGL members. The only sad part was a frantic trek across London on the Saturday night looking for an eating establishment which ended in failure:D.

Would I go back, definitely, but I need to consult SWMBO first, and I intend to just after Xmas. I thought if I left a year between visits it might help my case.:).

Ron.

The venue has always put me off a little but it does look quite good and the talks look quite interesting. Quite tempting to go and look at all the kit i can't afford.

But the main stumbling block for me is my wife working Friday nights. She would need to use her leave for me to go and that would not go down well.

My only visit to Astrofest was in 2008. As I live in the extreme North West of England, it was a long journey. I had a two night stay in a hotel too, so it was an expensive visit. Was it worth it, I have to say yes. I thoroughly enjoyed it. So much to see, and although I only attended one lecture It was great too. The icing was meeting up with other SGL members. The only sad part was a frantic trek across London on the Saturday night looking for an eating establishment which ended in failure:D.

Would I go back, definitely, but I need to consult SWMBO first, and I intend to just after Xmas. I thought if I left a year between visits it might help my case.:).

Ron.

Yeah youre problay right:icon_biggrin:

The venue has always put me off a little but it does look quite good and the talks look quite interesting. Quite tempting to go and look at all the kit i can't afford.

But the main stumbling block for me is my wife working Friday nights. She would need to use her leave for me to go and that would not go down well.

Yes i dont know if its allways been these days but its on a friday and saturday starts at 9am and finishes at 6pm

I've not been to one, but I'll see about going this year... as long as it doesn't conflict with too many other things... that is.

:) I am thinking about going 4 lectures as well as looking at some of the scopes and other gear as not sure which scope to get at that moment:confused:

This will be my third year, I commute into London anyway so it's not far out of my way. It's a bit pricey for both days but I've always enjoyed it. My family have now learned to give me an astrofest budget as a christmas present!

I go every year - the main problem I find is getting to the venue. The underground car park costs £17.50 for 4 to 6 hours and if you go on a Friday you have the £8 congestion charge.

Ignoring the negative side you have good lectures and a chance to see all the equipent all could ever wish for.

You also meet fellow SGL members.

Mark

Plan to go on the Friday. Did the Friday last year, as there was lots of snow less people made the trek so it was wasn't too crowded.:)

As Daz says the venue isn't overly big, or at least the section given over to Astrofest.

Found it easy to get to, get off the tube and walk over the road.

I`ve been going for quite a few years now. I am lucky that I can jump on the tube and get there in about an hour. The last couple of years I have been going on a friday (book day off work) because there is engineering work going on at the weekends on the tube. So it would be best to check your journey if you will be travelling by train on the sat. I usually save up my xmas and birthday money to get the odd bit. It can get a bit busy but there is loads to see and plenty of people to chat to.

I haven't got far to go, only coming up from Hampshire. So in theory i should be able to fit it in with ease in one day. But it would be just my luck something would go wrong with the trains and my return would be delayed.............and then there was trouble! (as the Fat Controller says).

Perhaps i may have to broach the subject with my wife or even see if the grandparents would mind having the kids for the night. A day of window shopping sounds great! May even fit in a lecture if i can pull myself away from that lovely kit.

I went a year or two ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. That being said once you have caught the train or driven and the paid to get in and to attend the lectures and bought tea & lunch and the inevitable bargains it can be a bit pricey.

It was great to drool at the kit and chat to the geeks. If you have cash to spend or are looking for a bargain then it's great.

It can get pretty rammed as the venue is slightly too small.

Is it the case that if you buy an Admission to one of the lectures, it also admits you to the Exhibition.?

Although I went in 2008, I just don't remember if that was how it worked. Memory bad:rolleyes:

Ron.

Yes barkis russ is right if you pay for a lecturer you automatically have access to the exhibition

I managed to go in 2003 I think it was and travelled up on my bike. it was so good I parked underneath the town hall. I thought the exhibition was great I was agog with daydreams on what I could buy.

This year is different as my wife has to have an operation in January so I may be restricted on travelling, however if I can make I would like to meet up with fellow Sgl'ers.

Keith.

hi going on the sat pm. in london for the weekend other half doing the shops leaving me to check out the scopes. been b4 had a great time. keith.

Archived