Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASTROFEST 2010

AndrewT

They could definately do with a bigger space for the exhibition side of it. However the auditorium for the lectures is quite good.

For a first timer I would say go on one day and get one session of lectures (which are generally excellent), this allows you to actually look at the toys whilst the other lecture session is on. When lectures aren't on the exhibition space can sometimes resemble the shanghai underground :icon_eek:

I should be going to both days and all lectures for third year in a row.:)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I got the go ahead tonight. The Mrs gave the Green light, and that was a shock. I expected a bit of a fight which I would have lost, but she even said she would like to go too. Not to the Fest, but just to get to London for a weekend. However, she's decided to stay at home, as it would mean kenneling the dog, and she won't have that. So, rain tickets ordered tomorrow, and the Lecture Passes. Try to get the same hotel as last time, aand it seems that will be OK, as I had a quick look at page tonight, and vacancies aplenty.:) It's all good.

Ron.

Slightly disappointed to see that FLO aren't amongst the list of confirmed exhibitors. Would be great to meet & thank Steve/James for the continued excellent service!

On the other hand, I see Telescope Planet are confirmed. Hope they're bringing a set of stocks, and a big bucket of wet sponges.. :D

Thanks for discussing here tho. As a newb, I didn't realise this exhibition existed. Now I do, I'm there..

London's only a 25min train ride for me, so looking forward to it.

Myself and Rob are confirmed for Friday :D

Not sure which lecture session we are doing yet but hopefully meet some SGL'ers there.

I've met James (Salisbury SP) but yet to meet Steve. That would be great if they were there.

I must say i have been a few times and i think once you have been you have been I wont be going again to be honest i think it should be moved around instead of always being down south and give everyone a chance to have it local to them

The "problem" of moving elsewhere will simply be one of numbers. The 32 London boroughs and the small "City of London" bit have a population of 8 million, The "larger" urban area (M25 boundry?) has a population of 12 million.

Add in that there are direct train lines in from say 50 miles out then the catchment really starts to escalate - all of Herts, Essex, Surry, Sussex, Kent, Bucks, Berks, even Hampshire. Easily 20 million.

There just isn't that much available population elsewhere in the UK.

Me and some friends will be driving down form Worcestershire then parking up near a tube station on the outskirts of London. Then it's 40 minutes on the tube and we're there. I reckon on the total cost as being:

Diesel = £5 (£20 divided by 4 people)

Tube = £6.20

(Equivalent cost of rail fare = £62.00 + tube fare!)

Admission = £15

Tea and coffee and a cake = £10

Supper = £8 (There's a Macdonald's just around the corner from the town hall)

Total cost of the day out = £42

Last year was the first I went to and I carried my coat round all the time. Then 20 minutes before I left I found there was a cloakroom where you could deposit coats on the lower floor. This year that will be my first place to call into.

The lower floor is(was) where the small groups had tables/stands but I assume that these must be booked and paid for.

As mentioned by a few the place is limited on space so not easy to say meet up at ???.

The cafe area has steps to the left where people sit and munch food and drink coffee etc. Could someone bag a table at the cafe area?

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew last year there was heavy snow and many people failed to make the event. If you have bought tickets and don't make it I don't think you will be reimbursed. Because the event is located in London it is unlikely that it will be cancelled.

It will be nice to meet other SGL members but there is not much space for a meet up. We could agree to meet during the Conference lunch hour 12.50 - 2.30 either Friday or Saturday pending on which day you go. Perhaps we would be allowed to use the Conference room for 15 minutes? Any thoughts?

Mark

Andrew last year there was heavy snow and many people failed to make the event. If you have bought tickets and don't make it I don't think you will be reimbursed. Because the event is located in London it is unlikely that it will be cancelled.

It will be nice to meet other SGL members but there is not much space for a meet up. We could agree to meet during the Conference lunch hour 12.50 - 2.30 either Friday or Saturday pending on which day you go. Perhaps we would be allowed to use the Conference room for 15 minutes? Any thoughts?

Mark

Yeah mark youre probably right due to the location it probably wouldnt be cancelled. Well decided to order my tickets and sort my train out hopefully will be able to get down and have a good time attending some of the lectures and looking at some of the gear they have there, and yes i think it would be good idea for us all to meet up at lunch not too sure if we would be allowed to use the conference room as i have never been before but we could have a go:)

As Mark says last year was heavy snow but being in London it wasn't affected. I wasn't sure that the trains would be running but as I walked to the station one went over the bridge. I caught the next that came along and got in to Kings Cross. After that it was the underground.

That's true but I'll bet that Steve and / or James will be there as visitors.

Mike

Regrettably I won't be there... I've been prebooked at a social event at Kate's work (she works for the local Fire service, always good to keep them onside :) ).

It's a pity as this is the second year I've missed. :)

James

I've been to Astrofest 2008 & 2009, as I live in the same borough where Astrofest happens, so I might go again this year.

There's a good selection of lectures and a variety of stalls. One can get to meet astrophysicists, historians & amateur astronomers :)

Unfortunately, I've never met anyone from SGLoungers :mad:

...The only sad part was a frantic trek across London on the Saturday night looking for an eating establishment which ended in failure:D....

Ron.

Next time, drive to Earl's Court which is just down the road from Kensington High Street (on the Kensington High St drive towards Holland Park and turn left at Holland Park, then all the way down the Earl's Court Road) where you'll find a whole host of restaurants & coffee shops which remain open till late at night. Or, you could drive up the Kensington Church St up to Notting Hill Gate area and you'll be even more spoiled for choice :)

Archived